No more Raven Labs???

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by PilbaraBass, Jan 22, 2006.

1. just went to and red this...

Important Announcement
    After a long and distinguished career developing ground-breaking technology for the musical instrument industry, Raven Labs founder Steve Rabe has announced his retirement. Unfortunately, this means that the Raven Labs product line is retiring with him. As of February 1, 2005, all development, production and shipment of Raven Labs products has ceased.

If you are the owner of a Raven Labs product and require service or repair, please contact:

MR Electronics
    10629 Collett Ave.
    Granada Hills, CA 91344
    Phone: (818) 259-1939
    Attn: Mario Rebollero

I don't get it...why's there a web-site still that is fully functional and more than 9 months after the announcement?

Can you buy RL products, or can't you?
  2. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I'm saying this in all seriousness: you're the perfect example - the minimal cost of hosting one page and the domain name is worth informing potential and former customers of the ending of the buisness.

Only any NOS that stores might have (which I imagine is rapidly shrinking) or on the used market.
  3. I don't get they just stop appearing...why doesn't Mr. Rabe just sell his designs to another company?

I'm not telling him how to run his business (or "not" run it), but it seems a shame that his products will just be no more...
  4. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

Hard to say unless he announced the reason publicly. You could say the same with Ada and others. I doubt you'll see Walter Woods Amps after he ceases production.

Some people don't want to reveal trade secrets they spent their time creating, give up control, retain control, have their stuff messed with by somebody else, or see it made in China. Could be there are other people involved, legal or financial issues. There could lots of reasons.
  5. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Steve Rabe chose to retire, and it's up to him. IMO, the Raven Labs gear is some of the best out there (he also was one of the big designers of SWR gear a long time ago)

He's retired. Leave him be. Buy used.
  6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Look at a lot of brands that are run by other companies that took over the name. There are only a few examples of the products holding the same reputaion they had. He probably doesnt want his name attached to inferior products that would probably result from selling to another company.