No More Slapping for me!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Andre_gt7, Apr 4, 2005.

1. Andre_gt7

Jan 4, 2005
    Atlanta - GA
    After Breaking 2 G strings in 2 2 different basses....i have officially stopped slapping :( anyone know what i might be doing wrong? Im 15 years old, i have been playing for 4 years.... and Bass strings are freaking expensive :help:

Edit: BTW...this has never happened before
  2. Andre_gt7

Jan 4, 2005
    Atlanta - GA
    i believe its my technique...since it was on two different basses :-help
  3. Andre_gt7

Jan 4, 2005
    Atlanta - GA
    i've been taking teacher jus didnt get into think its the way im hooking my finger under the "G"
  4. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Yup, it's your technique. And you live in Atlanta! There's bound to be someone who will teach you slapping. Just look around. It's not something that I particularly recommend trying on your own without instruction.
  5. Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Oh, I didn't even notice you lived in Atlanta.
    Where do you take lessons?
    If you want a new teacher that can slap, check out Russ Rodgers ( I've been with him for around three months and he's a great teacher (and player).
  6. Andre_gt7

Jan 4, 2005
    Atlanta - GA
    I take Lessons at Jenning's...and some lessons on the side with a bass player friend...
  7. EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    It's most likely your technique/strings. Every once and a while I get into some really hard slapping and I get a little over zealous with the popping side. I use DR Hi-Beams at .50-1.10 and they are more than strong enough to handle the snapping. I wouldn't trust light guage strings to hold up as well, though.

8. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    do you boil your strings? if so, quit it. if not, i'm clueless as to why you're breaking them. i'm playing around 15 years, i rip the hell out of my strings, and i've only ONCE broken a string - and it was after i took someone's wonderful suggestion to boil them.
  9. frobie

Jan 7, 2005
    I break strings every 2 months, and I don't boil.. :(

*looks at empty wallet
  10. If I leave a set on to where it feels old, i'm almost guaranteed to break my G. I don't think it's as much my technique anymore as much as that I just wear my strings out.
  11. CQBASS

Dec 1, 2004
    Asheville NC
    I slap alot and use really light strings. .35 - .120 and never break strings. You're probably digging in too hard. You might even try slightly lighter strings. That way you don't have to play as hard to get the same tone. Try and relax your hands more when you play. It's pretty common to play much harder than is actually required. Just my .02, but it comes from personal experience. When i first started slapping alot (back before you were born) I used to break strings pretty often. But a carpal tunnel and two tendonituses later I really lightened up my touch and have never had any problems like that since. Good luck.
  12. fat-k

Mar 30, 2005
    condon oregon
    :bassist: I dont understand how to do it :confused:
  13. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    I taught myself to slap and broke a lot of G strings at the beginning, but at some point, it just stopped happening. Try applying less force when popping and more when slapping (which is the key to a good sounding slap technique anyway.) Also try doing "pops" as close to the neck as possible.
  14. Third time lucky perhaps :) I broke my D slapping once...never happened again though. Don't let it get you down though man.
  15. Slapping doesn't have to be hard, as a lot of intricate slappers like Wooten will attest to. Check to see if you have sharp saddles, but most likely it's just that you're popping or slapping too hard. You'll eventually be able to hit it just enough to get that sound.
  16. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Bingo! Iv'e been playing over 30 years and have never broke any string. I started Thumping and popping in the early 70's, slapping was a term that came along later. I noticed bass players slapping at the bass, pulling on the strings and what not and that has nothing to do with the original technique. You should be able to do it with a feather touch using little force as possible. all that slapping, beating and pulling on the strings is all theatre. If you look at those who do it well you will notice they make it look effortless.
  17. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I'll teach you how to slap- but I get to go first, m'kay? ;) :eek: :D
  18. They make it seem effortless because, in a sense, it is effortless. It's a lot more efficient to hit it lightly, slightly harder for emphasis once in a while or something. I think that's the major difference between a slow, sloppy slapper and a fast, precise slapper. It's the first obstacle to overcome. Of course, I like to think I've overcome it, but I've still got a long way to go before I slap like the pros.
  19. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    This was what I was thinking. Don't play unamplified. Some people think it is ok but I don't. When you play unamplified you naturally play HARDER on the bass then you need to and your technique will veer off. If you crank up your amp you will see that you can slap with a light touch. This will pave the way for better technique. As others have said, the best slappers have a light touch because that allows you to play faster. Let your amp do the work.