1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

No more than one wind on the peg

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by joelb79, Apr 20, 2006.

1. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    Whoever it was, who said never go more than one more wind on the tuning peg... THANK YOU!

I have never heard this much punch from my strings. and yes, its tested. same strings, same bass, waaaaaaaaay different sound.

THANK YOU! i'll be so happy at the next show and prax tomorrow.

2. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner Supporting Member Commercial User

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner
    How does one wrap help your sound?
    I was under the impression that it was better for multiple wraps increasing break angle over nut.

3. I've used a multi wrap method for years and have gotten great sound? I was on point w/ Blues Cat about the break angle over the nut thing. But I could be wrong, either way I love my sound right now so either way could be good...

Actually Now that I think about I've heard that before has anyone else experienced better sound because of one wrap as aposed to mulit wrap method?

Let Us Know!!

4. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    Just my general observation is this:

3 wraps (my usual) - more lows, scoped mids, lack of midbass, bright trebble that goes tinny when strings die.

1 wrap - same lows, but added midbass growl that was not there before, midrange definition and bright top.

The Bass, 1989 Musicman Sterling.
    The Strings, DR High-Beam MR-45's

5. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner Supporting Member Commercial User

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner
    This is interesting.
    How do the wraps on the other side of the nut become a tone factor?
    Can we get Nino or Hambone to chime in on this?

6. Hmm, you got me...:confused:

Maybe, with less wraps, there is less mass on the end of the string. Since vibrations carry through the nut, there is less mass to be moved and that can allow for different harmonic combinations to be heard?

7. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Weird,

I've always used about 3 wraps, starting high on the peg, so the string would wind progressively lower on the peg. This way, it would create more string angle as it comes over the nut.

I've had problems w/ my strings rattling on the fretboard, if I dont get the exit point of the string leaving the peg, headed to the nut,, as low as possible. I mean, this is why some basses have string retainers.

8. Time for a blind comparison test...

:D

9. +1

You might be able to do it with just the 4 strings on the bass - 2 w/1 wrap and 2 w/multi-wraps. But it would certainly be better to use 2 sets of matching strings - and while your still blindfolded, let your guitarist buddy switch'em out for you!:D

10. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    No idea about this.

The only suggestion I have against this is to have a string tree if your headstock is a flat style one (Fenderish) and not angled. I mean, then when you try to playt the open string you get buzz...

Or at least I did with my SX when I cut the string too short by accident.

11. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    I was about to agree with you, but the original poster has a Sterling, aren't those the same angled headstocks as fender style?

12. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    yep.. i also have a peg for the A and G string to keep the tension up across the bridge.

oh and also i was able to get the same tension over the nut no problem.

13. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    Simple technique that has been serving me well.

Cut off the string 4 fingers width past the peg, generally results in 2 - 3 wraps on standard tunig pegs and 1 and a half to 2 wraps round the slightly larger pegs such as on fenders.

14. I'm a noob here, but how exactly do you gauge the one wind?

I also try to make it just one wind, but it ends up being 2 or 3, alsmot everytime. What am I doing wrong?

15. This sounds like a case of the placebo effect to me. I've no doubts of the OP's sincerity, but I'm unconvinced of the reality of the phenomenon. It's very easy in matters of tone to sincerely believe we hear things that aren't really there; witness the sometimes embarrassing results of blinded tests of audiophile gear.

I could be wrong, but I've done the string wrap both ways and heard no difference. It's possible that my ears just aren't acute enough to hear it; and it's also possible that there is no real difference. In the absence of compelling arguments for the former, I lean toward the latter, while acknowledging the possibility of error.:)

16. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    Great post and it reflects my feelings exactly.

I also leave room for the possibility something I don't understand is at work with the single wrap but I'm not willing to try it out without the TB Blind Wrap Comparison. ;)

17. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    lol talkbass blind wrap comparison. what the hell did i start?

hey if it works for me and it helps me be in the pocket/box more, then by all means i'll do it. if there is no difference, i guess its my rabbits foot of sorts.

and how i achieved one wind was this: i wound the string around the peg once, used that as the cut point, and then bent 1/2" for the peg itself. wound up exactly one wind perfectly.

18. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I we started doing that all the myths would go away, at least for some people ;)

19. naja

naja

Oct 14, 2005
    East TN
    One way to do a blind test on the group of us would be to string up with several windings, record into PC, then rewind with only one wind on the post and re-record. The person who records could then post the two sound samples and see if we can notice any difference without telling us which recording is which. Both recordings using the same bass, played by the same person.

20. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    one explaination for the difference in sound is (if there is a difference at all) is how, when the string is plucked, it exerts a varying pulling force on the string and the peg. more string wound round the peg, and you'll have more string to stretch, resulting in a more "floppy string". i think.

im not sure if bass strings have any give in this respect, but my nylon stringed classical lasts much longer with many winds. it also tunes up slower, as each wind slowly settles into the tension.

a clip or sorts, or double ball, will be the logical extension if single winds sound better. ie. if single-winds sound better, no-winds would sound the best. no?

but then again, im not even sure you can hear the difference between a double ball headless and normally wound tuners. i certainly cant tell on my nylon stringed guit. we really need an A/B. im thinking the difference is probably minimal.