1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

No more vintage Fenders for me

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JimmyM, Jun 7, 2007.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Love 'em except for one thing...the 7.25" radius. I'm afraid that I've played the 12" radius for so long now that I can't get along with the 7.25" anymore. And it's not that I don't enjoy the feel, but I can't bend notes on them. They always fret out when you bend unless you set the action really high. If I don't bend notes, I love my 79 Precision. The second I start bending notes, I want to reach for one of my other basses.

So now I have to look for a replacement and sell the 79, only the second bass I have ever sold in my life. On the other hand, I've been lamenting having to bring this SX bass on fly gigs, so now I can maybe step up a little and get something better in a P and still not be too concerned about flying with it.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Nah, I couldn't do that to it. It's totally stock except for missing a thumbrest. I'd rather just get another one.

3. MD-BassPlayer

MD-BassPlayer Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Route out the bridge and put in a whammy. Heh.

If you can afford it, I'd keep the '79 and buy another bass that has a radius more to your liking. You'll kick yourself for selling it down the road.

4. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Stop bending strings. Is not 1987 anymore.

5. dblbass

dblbass Commercial User

Mar 24, 2007
    Beacon, NY
    Owner of MBJ guitars, Maker of fine sawdust for Carl Thompson Guitars
    you could take it to someone to have it refretted and while they are at it they can reradius it.

6. Taking the neck off putting on another one isn't going to "de-stock" it, as long as you keep the old neck. And it's helluva lot cheaper! And, you get to keep all the other nice features of you old fender.

7. Really good idea if you want to trash the value of a vintage instrument...

8. interp

interp

Apr 14, 2005
    Garmisch, Germany
    I've got news for you all: a 1979 Fender is not "vintage." I've got underwear older than that.

Nothing built after CBS acquired the company is vintage IMHO.

9. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    +1

Except due to the public demand for "old stuff", after all the 50's and 60's basses are bought up, the only thing left are 70's and 80's basses so they then become in demand.

I'll second the idea of getting a new neck too...Warmoth makes some great stuff. Just put away the old one and save it for if/when you sell the bass.

PS...Interp, please do the world a favor and toss out any underwear that has been around since the Reagan administration! Wal-Mart usually has a 5-pack for $8.

10. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Canada
    +1 on this advise. I am thinking of doing the same on my 57RI just because I have gotten so used to the Jazz neck on my Geddy. I can always sell the bass stock and keep the replacement neck.

11. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    There is a Wolf guy here who loves the 7,25 radius...i personally find this radius hooooorrible.

12. Bassflute

Bassflute

Jun 24, 2006
    Vancouver
    Endorsing Artist: MTD basses and strings; Bergantino Amps & Cabs
    They were never the same after Leo left. The fine art of Lutherie left with him. After that we get the era of the 17lb jazz basses with big bulky necks and headstocks, compared to the pencil thin necks and teeny headstocks on the real stuff, and crappy electronics where every possible penny was saved. They wanted to get the logo big, couldn't care less about the instruments. In the 70's, everybody was complaining about how awful the 'new' Fenders were; now a '76 piece of crap is going for thousands just because it's sort of old, not because it's a particularly good instrument.

Kinda like what happened to Kentucky Fried when the Colonel left. When I was a kid, KFC was amazing.

Now, well...

Want a nice jazz bass at 1/6 the cost of a Sadowski?

www.bladeguitars.com

Better than anything Fender has built after about 1966 or so, with a few flukey exceptions.

And it may be time for some new underwear for you.

:D

Cheers,
    Cameron

13. MobileHolmes

MobileHolmes I used to be BassoP

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa
    That would be my thought too. You could do a warmoth neck and a set of tuners for under 300 bucks finished, although their bass necks are only a 10 radius, and I"m not sure they'll do anything else on a bass neck. You could also try USACG.

14. MobileHolmes

MobileHolmes I used to be BassoP

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa
    I feel like an old fart at 30, but I remember when they couldn't give 70s fenders away. Then they quadrupled over night. You could buy late 70s strats for 300 bucks all the time in the mid nineties, then about 97-98, I started seeing them at 1200. A few months ago, I saw a 75 strat for over 4k. I wish I'd had the foresight when I was a kid.

15. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I wasn't really asking for advice on modding it, nor was I requesting playing advice from trolls named Lefty, and I know this sounds really hard to believe, I wasn't really requesting people to tell me how crappy my bass is. I was just stating that the 7.25" radius is not for me, and wondering if anyone else had the same problem with it. HumanBass actually got it. The rest of you please delete your replies.

16. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Classic JimmyM.

17. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Let's see if I can post a +1 before he deletes the thread :p

18. rokkitt

rokkitt

Jun 7, 2007
    bronx, nyc
    is your 79 black with a maple neck?

lets see pics......

that was the rocker, new wave, punk bass of the 70's and 80's

how much you want for it?

Rokkitt

19. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    rokkitt, yes it is. But I haven't entirely decided to sell it. I have pics of it but I can't remember where I have them stored. Sorry.

20. Obese Chess

Obese Chess Spicy Big Dad Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Portland, OR
    New neck.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021