No "MWAH" except on one string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NJXT, Feb 12, 2001.

1. NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    Last friday, in a local shop, I tried for the first time a fretless bass (with fretlines).
    It was a 4 string BassCollection,a japan brand that doesn't seem to be known in the US and it was the only fretless available in the shop at the time. It's a good brand (my 5 fretted is originaly a BassCollection).
    To give you an idea of the price range, it cost 20% more than a MIM Jazz Bass, here in France.
    Beyond the pleasure to find that playing a fretless is not as hard as I thought (but still difficult ;) ), I was surprised that only the D string produced a "MWAH" sound when played.
    The other strings sounded "fretless style", that's all.
    I was considering buying it but find myself confused about the lack of "MWAH".
    Is is common in this price range ? Do I have to buy a more expensive bass to get a good sound ? Or is it just that this bass was not good ?
  2. The Mwah is caused by the string vibrating against the fingerboard. If the relief in the neck is not right, the vibration wont appear. This is usually rectified by an adjustment of the truss rod. Go back to the shop and tell them you're interested in the bass, but want to see it set up properly. Their tech should be able to adjust it while you wait, then give it a try out. They should have set it up properly anyway. BTW, dont get too much mwah, it can be a nuisance!
  3. NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    Thx for the answer.
    I got no idea of that setup thing for the mwah.