"No Name" American Standard rediscovered

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Ike Harris, Dec 8, 2004.

1. Ike Harris

Ike Harris

May 16, 2001
    Nashville TN
    Continuing the discussion on this popular and sometimes mysterious DB, it was verified to me by Chris Charvat, the White Co. decendant and webmaster, that the co. didn't make stencil instruments for other brands. Well, while I was at the college where I occasionally teach(and graduated from) the other day, I went to the bass room and was reminded that one of the instruments was a "no name" American Standard.

When I was a student there, it was just a "mystery" bass that was a little bigger, louder and uglier than the rest. As I became more familiar with characteristics of various DB makes, I looked this bass over and dubbed it a Standard. It has the trademark tuners, shape, purfling and all the rest of the usual traits of the AS but no label or serial # inside, or "Cleveland" stamp on the back. It's in a rare blond finish which is in a very crackly checked condition.

My guess is that it was sold to the school "in the white" and finished by someone locally. I've seen some "redone" finishes on some instruments that start checking fairly quick.

When I'm back up there again and have more time, I'll look for a serial # that may have been written inside. I'll also soon have a digital camera and send in some pics.