"No new basses for 1 year" - can I do it?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by craigb, Nov 21, 2001.

1. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

Hey Y'all,

Being disgusted by my bass rotation this year I'm trying to commit to not buying another bass for a year. I don't know if I'll be able to hold out but that's the plan. No new basses until Thanksgiving of '02. My two basses:

The top one is an MTD Beast - single coil jazz pickups, punchy, growly and very, very comfortable. The bottom one is a Fender American Series P - single humbucker, clear P sound and pretty comfortable (not quite as good as the Beast). So I have a decent pair of basses. Right now the Beast is my fave and I'm wondering if the P was such a great idea. But I've strung it up with Rotosound flats and want to give it a chance.

It's going to be hard. I have some other things planned (hipshot detuners, maybe moving the Beast to a blend pot instead of individual volumes, maybe a pickguard for the Beast, maybe a pedal tuner, a Line 6 filter modeler and a better headphone amp) but want to stop buying & selling basses. I need to concentrate on playing, writing and reading instead of gear, gear, gear. It's not going to be easy to change the mindset.

Wish me luck
  2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    you'll never make it! :D
  3. I have yet to disagree with Pacman.
  4. I got forced into it. But I guess I'm recovering from it.

Props if you make it. To celebrate, on the 366th day go out and by a Warwick.:D

Rock on
  5. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

Fortunately this is self-imposed, not externally imposed. I'm just trying to regain some self-control. If I can get out of bass acquisition mode I can stay out (I've done it with cars in the past). I'm letting my subscription to Bass Player run out and will try to concentrate on playing, writing and working on reading.

I started the year with a G&L L2000 and a Steinberger Spirit XT-2. Since then I've run through a G&L SB-1, Jasmine ABG, Ibanez Musician, G&L Climax, Musicman Stingray, MTD Beast (3x), Steinberger Spirit XT-25, XZ-25 & XZ-2, Fender Hotrod P, Dearmond Pilot Pro, G&L LB-100, G&L L2000 (traded away, bought back), Fender American Series P. That's just too much in one year.

It will be hard to stop, but that's what I need to do. And the smart money is on me giving in before the year is up.
  6. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I don't see the Epi Jack Casady on that list! ;)

7. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

I know there are some missing - but that one is boxed up and waiting for UPS pickup in the foyer. Does it count? I returned it (am returning it).

OK, it still counts (I'm bummed it didn't fit me - I'd have stopped with it instead of the P).

cruise4 - the ironic thing is I could have stopped at any point and would have had a couple of nice basses. I went into "bass acquisition" mode 2-3 years ago when I shopped for my first "good" bass and then never stopped. The time has come to stop.
  8. Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    If you discover the antidote for GAS...get a patent for it! :eek:
  9. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    No new Basses for a year.
    Does that mean a used Bass is out of the question?:D
  10. odie

odie Supporting Member

Why dont you like the MTD that you have now?? It sounds like it meets all your requirements.
  11. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

Hey Odie,

Actually I do really like my MTD Beast. It's super comfortable and sounds good. It's the P that is going to go. I like to have two basses since I leave one at work for lunchtime practice and want to have one at home as well for doing stuff at night. I'm probably going to replace the P with either a K4 or Heir 4 and try again (to go for a year without changing anything).
  12. odie

odie Supporting Member

Ok now I know what your plan was for the Heir/King. Maybe I didnt read your other posting in basses.

Does the Beast have the same kind of neck as the Heir??

Still thinking about tuning BEAD?? If so the 35'' scale should help.
  13. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    along those lines...if u want to go till next thanks giving without going over 2 basses(you can sell one and buy another so u will still have 2) and if u do that...ill make an offer for the on on top:D

14. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Im with Pacman, you'll never make it :D
  15. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    be strong
    be pure
    drink water
    don't smoke
    don't sin

the god will help you

and you'll resist the temptation!!

you'll never make it !!!
  16. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

I didn't make it - and am restarting with a target of Christmas next year. I ended up going with an L2000 with #6 (narrow) neck. I'm hoping the third times the charm - this is my third L2000 and my third Beast. I may do a neck swap on the L2000 (with a Moses neck) if I can't get comfortable with the #6.

Bassplayer13 - that's really what I've been doing for the last three years. Never going over 3, usually having 2, and always selling one to finance another. With good decisions on used basses it hasn't cost me too much money (I've lost on some, made money on others) and it's been a way to learn a lot about what I like in a bass. Keep an eye on the Forsale forum - if I ever do part with the Beast it will be posted there. The only way I see that happening is that I find a neck I'm comfortable with on the L2000 (either the #6 or the Moses) and decide to go with two of those (the L2000 is my "ultimate bass" tonally).

Odie - I'm a dedicated 4-stringer (never been able to get even close to comfortable on a 5-stringer). The 4-string MTDs are 34" scale and the necks on the K4 is the same as the Beast (from the K4 I tried in a store). I had almost settled on a K4 when the chance to get the L2000 popped up. My plan is for both basses to be EADG with the eventual addition of a Hipshot on the E (we play a couple of songs that a drop-D would be useful for).

The way the bottom is falling out of the used bass market I may be "forced" to pick up another L2000. If they ever get to where they are around $300 (I've seen several go for around $450 lately) I will buy. I'm wondering if I'm going to be holding the Precision until after Christmas waiting for the market to pick back up some.
  17. LOL <controls himself> .... LOL

I can't sorry, that made my actually laugh out loud.. people walking by my computer are very confused, but it was just too good..

I'm gonna make, I'm gonna make it, I'm fighting it.. ok maybe just.. NO! I'm gonna make, I'm gonna make it, crap, I didn't make it :( :D

hehe sorry Craig, but GAS has you, I know the feeling though, only guilt is trying to convince me to stay away from upgrading my MIM Jazz, because well, it costs money, and it seems a bit excessive.. Then again, show me a place I can get a great priced used Ric, and I just might run screaming into a corner of a room, pull my knees up to my chest, and start rocking back and forth.. GAS ATTACK!!

Stupid ebay, and all the retailers this time of year :(
  18. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    That's why resolutions like this are best left for New Years... after the year end sales;)
  19. I wanna see if I can not not buy another bass for a year

Again, I'll never make it
  20. RHCFlea

Jun 16, 2001
    Washington DC
    I can do that.
    I don't have enough money for one!!! :D :D :D

That's the key