Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

No Newsted.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Jan 23, 2003.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I was looking at the video of metallica on their site yesterday they were playing in the parking lot of a football stadium at some big game. Bob Rock was playing bass i felt so bad for them they really messed up a good thing with Jason. Their was no one their to get the crowd chanting or any real head banging going on. I know Jason was not recorded into the mix well on records but when they played live you could allways here him. Metallica is looking sad with out Jason.

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    music related means miscellaneous.

3. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Sorry John i got confused Thanks

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, the major has a point. I sat down with a friend to watch Live S***: Binge and Purge, where they did some of the older tunes, and the newer ones as well. Even though on the records you couldn't hear him, he was just as audible as the rest of the band live, and IMHO, made them sound better.

5. That bunch of sissies haven't produced anything not resembling filth since 1989.

6. <----- STILL rules.

While their old stuff was very good, I would be very bored of them by now if they still sounded like that.

I agree about Jason though, at least Metallica said they were auditioning bassists with the intent of finding someone who will be an equal member of the band rather than just an employee of theirs.

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    ....& their is a bridge I would like to sell, if anyone is interested. ;)

Jason rules. I'd like to hear some VoiVod with him!!!!

8. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    :D :D

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Me three.

10. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I agree with the previous two posts. Everything from the "Load" and up era is very slipshod and low talent considering what metallica can do. Hopefully their new project will produce somethign of value after spending next to forever nitpicking over a bassist that seems to get lost in the mix anyway (at least on album).:rolleyes:

11. my theory is, Cliff was the speed metal guru of old Metallica, once he died after Master of Puppets, everything slowed down quite a bit. ...And Justice for All had some fast songs on it, but not to the extent of their older tunes such as Metal Militia and Fight Fire With Fire, etc. Load and Reload were a major shift in music style for the group. still good music IMO, just not the mosh pit Metallica the 80's and early 90's knew. they should of took Les Claypool when they had the chance.

12. odie

odie Supporting Member

Its funny how some people hate change. Kinda like a bunch of old grumpy stuffy men :D.

I dont know how a band could keep putting out the same album for 20 years.

Remmember Iron Maiden adding keyboards, Nirvana not sounding like they're full of angst, look at Bowie!! Its called evolution baby. Its reinventing themselves.

I dont necessarily like the new stuff better, but 10 years will change anyones music writing and style.

I think they would have choked in the music world if they were still banging and tossing their long hair. Jamming in front of Marshalls trying to look angry and evil. Something about a rich $$$ group knocking on the middle age door trying to seem mean, heavy and angry would look a little dated and fake to me.

13. Metalifan89

Metalifan89

Jan 24, 2003
    My House
    Hey Guys, Did Jason Ever Say Why He Left? (Sorry If I AM Alittle slow with news)::

14. lemonadeisgood

lemonadeisgood

Aug 22, 2001
    Canada
    Probably because they cut their hair. ;)

15. lemonadeisgood

lemonadeisgood

Aug 22, 2001
    Canada
    Load and Reload are the only metallica albums I can listen to.

16. Dook

Dook

Jan 18, 2003
    Tacoma
    Cuz the boss (James) wouldn't let him release his side project album.

17. Slayers first CD came out a few months before Kill 'Em All, if im not mistaken, and they still play wicked metal. if anything, they've done the opposite of metallica, and got harder.

God Hates Us All is an amazing album, IMO, and i saw Slayer live in September and they can still put on an awesome show for being in the business for 20 years now.

18. odie

odie Supporting Member

Guess what??

Old slayer fan from way back, 4 concerts under my belt and own all all albums but there last(got mp3's). Lots of my friends liked slayer for many years.

But none of them like them anymore, at least their new stuff. Why because they're bored by them.

They tried a little more hardcore punk in here and there which I think added a little kick at times.

There fan base has shrunk somewhat, at the least they're not gaining any fans at a blistering pace.

I give them kudos for trying to stick to the recipe they created 20 years ago.

19. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    They've made their millions. Why don't they just throw in the towel like alot of other bands have done instead of trying to "reinvent" themselves? Their "reinventing" is merely producing music that has no integrity whatsoever. Sell outs!:mad:

20. Change is good when its for the right reasons. Music for me is an art and a source of recreation. Expanding your audience and making more money arent normally associated with building creativity. It is very debatable whether or not metallica's last few albums have been made with the primary intention of fullfilling those two reasons or whether it was just the final result. I will say however that theyre musicianship isnt what it used to be, much less could be.