Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

No nuts-how bout a little help?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bosco, Jun 4, 2005.

1. bosco

bosco

May 30, 2005
    I have the Hartke VX 3500 combo. It's nice but it doesn't have nearly the output of my old Hartke 1155 combo that had the same 3500 head. I'm told that the VX line of cabinets (paper cones) have inefficient drivers. My thoughts are to upgrade the head to the 5000 or the 7000 as I think the 3500 would be a lot easier to sell than a combo cabinet with the head missing. Waddya guys think? Is this the way to go and if so, would the 5000 cover it or would it be necessary to go with the 7000 (provided these options would solve the problem) Or maybe I have to go with a new cabinet like the XL 115 perhaps. Thanks a million folks. Sincerely, a guy who should more about gear after 13 years of playing.

2. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    The best Hartke cabs to pair with a 3500 are the 210 and 115XL. You'll get full output from the head into those and they complement eachother perfectly. Neither cab really stands up alone however.

I would keep your head and try to trade that VX for those two cabs. Alternately you could get a 4.5XL, but that is probably more cab than you need.

Buying a more powerful head for a bad sounding, inefficent cab won't help.

3. bosco

bosco

May 30, 2005
    Well, it doesn't actually sound bad. In fact it SOUNDS quite good. I just have to play it at volume 8 or 9 to get it to the volume of a 3 or 4 from my old cabinet (and I had added a second 115 cabinet to that original combo). I'm afraid I'm gonna blow the thing at that setting but I don't really know. Thanks very, very much for the response.

4. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Well if you like the sound of the VX Aluminum cones might not be your thing. Have you looked into a different, better paper coned cab like say an Avatar 212?

You could get one of those in 4 ohm and get full output from your head. They are regarded by many as extremely good sounding, loud cabs for the money.

The website is located at www.avatarspeakers.com

5. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I agree with Tash about the combination of 115xl and 210xl (providing you like the sound of the aluminium cone drivers). These two cabs work great with my 5000 head, but I know of people who've used the same combination with the 3500 and been very happy with it.

But you're right - neither cab does well on it's own. The 115 doesn't have the highs, and the 210 has little bass as it's not ported. For smaller gigs I use a 3000 head with a 2.5xl cab - very nice little rig for these situations.

For really big gigs, I use the lot! That really does make some serious low frequency noise. :D :D