1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

no. of strings

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wotnwhy, Nov 28, 2001.

1. I am considering buying a new bass, I have been playing for two years and use a 4 string yamaha (RBX 260). I havent come up with a budget yet (but nothing above 1000 pounds (about $1750 U.S) unless it's a deal of the century type thing) and now onto the problem.

the band i'm in plays mostly punk and rock and one of my bandmates suggested getting a 5 or 6 string, so my questions are:

1. are the extra strings higher or lower than the original 4?

2. what are the advantages of extra stings?

3. what are the disadvantages? (i tried out a 5 string in my local shop and I wasn't very good because i kept missing the strings due to the different spacing)

4. do they cost a lot more and do you think it's worth it?

thanx for any advice you can give :)

2. a normal 4 string is strung EADG
    a 5 string is usually strung BEADG but can be EADGC (like mine)
    a 6 string is usually BEADGC, but again can have any different combinations (eg EADGCF)

the advantage (in theory) is that u can be more versatile and have more notes at your disposal. the disadvantages are, like u mentioned, u gotta get used to those etc strings, and it takes a good player to use those strings with taste.

to be honest with u, if your playing mostly punk and rock i can't see any need for you to have a 6 string, of course u may want to break the mould and add a chordal solo in a bad religion song :)

i say either stick with a 4, or maybe experiment with a cheap(ish) 5 string, obviously strung BEADG.

*Si*

3. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden

4. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Bob won the race.

5. thanx for the help guys

P.S where u from oysterman?

6. :)

aye, i did win th e race, but u got some better points

i think team-work wins the day....

oh yes, i can pile on the cheeseyness ;)

gotta chip, chrsitmas shopping beckons
    *Si*

7. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden

<------ Lookee.