Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

No offence to anyone.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PasdaBeer, Jan 2, 2006.

1. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    but arent the fender clones getting a little old?

I love a great playing Jazz or P bass just as much as the next guy, but i want something with some originality.

All the sad's, Low End jazz, and all the other clones, im sure there great instruments, but damn, lets see something a little original from them but with the same great work they put into the clones.

a semi drunken rant, so dont mind me.

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Well even though the obvious thing to do is to disagree with you, im going to disagree with you. I dont like Fenders because of the shoddy qualtiy control, BUT, i do like the designs, with exception of a few things. Sadowsky improves on the things i dont like and i really dig Sads. If they sound great, why change them?

3. I think it would be interesting to see what Sadowsky would do for an original design, but what's to stop them from what they're doing now?

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Pasda, I'll tell you, I kind of feel the same way, except for one thing...it's a good business decision to build Fender copies. All the companies that build copies are correcting things that bass players traditionally thought were weaknesses in Fenders. So it makes sense from a business standpoint. Me, I think the things they corrected messed up what made Fenders good.

5. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    i find styles other than fender hidious. But that's just me.

6. Fender, IMO, does try to be innovative once and a while, but everytime they do, they are usually shot down by players. For example, there was a thread on here a couple of months ago about the "Big Block P-Bass". Although there were a couple "oohs and ahhs", most TBers did not like it. Also, alot of people want the instruments the grew to love over time. Fender can put all the latest and greatest crap on any guitar or bass, but there are still players who could care less, they would rather play that 70's J-Bass that can be heard on numerous recordings, or that 50's P-Bass that was "just perfect" the moment they picked it up. These are just some of the reasons that I thought made sense, I'm sure there are more.

7. The real fender designers left long ago. Now all you have are businessmen without a design department steering a dinosaur.

If Fender controlled their quality better, there wouldn't be so many people doing their designs. If Fender was the best "Fender" you could get, there would be less of a market for clones.

Alot of companies are living on old designs that are sure to sell. Its just too expensive to gamble on new designs for them. You'd have to build a whole new manufacturing line, re-train the work force for that design. Tons of other things.

Some people just won't leave those designs. While I tend to like new designs for my bass, I havn't found a guitar design better for me than a Gibson SG.

Alot of companies are missing out on a few designs. No one is mass marketing a scroll bass. So many CT lovers would grab one just to have a semblance of what they desire.

8. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    I really like Fender shapes... the only thing I like more then Fender shapes is the gibson Les Paul... but it's tied for 1st with the Jaguar and Mustang (And Jag stang)... but basses Fender shapes are +1 and hold their stance pretty well in the 6 string realm too ;)

9. I have to disagree.
    Most luthiers DO have original models of their own. Even Sadowsky has his 24F model for years now, while Fender only recently came up with a 24 fret jazz. And the Low End jazz is just a high quality vintage type addition to the very original models that Chris Benavente makes.

R.

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    There are plenty of builders out there doing original shapes. As long as there is a market for high-quality Fender knock-offs, there'll be builders providing them. So don't patronize the Sadowsky-Lakland-Lulls. Buy a Carl Thompson, Ritter, Fodera, Bongo, B C Rich or, best of all, Wishnevsky.

11. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    Im in no way patronizing them, so buzz off thanks.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I think Munji meant "patronize" as in don't be their customer, and not as in treat someone condescendingly.

13. draginon

draginon

Oct 4, 2004
    Get an american... or custom shop...

14. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

If you think about it, the companys making all the clones have pretty well pigeonholed themselves into the image of being clonemasters, even if they've made notable improvements.

Fenders popularity led to the cloning in the first place, but if all other makers had simply mimicked Fenders balance they could have been seen as their own designers.

Everyone that sees a Sadowsky from far away basically sees what appears to be a Fender, but most would never consider that Dingwalls and Ibanezes owe a lot of their basic design elements to Fender.

Simply because they borrowed the form of the Fender without trying to fool the eye into seeing one, most people see them as at least somewhat more original.

Of course Sheldon's venture into J-bass land changes this somewhat, it carries enough differences to be obviously not a Fender.

I have a great like for the Fender designs and many of the Fender influenced basses as well, but have a natural aversion to basses that look so much like Fenders and to be virually mistaken for them if the headstock was hidden.

These are just my personal opinions of course and it may seem a little too obvious, but I really feel that there would be little market for Fender clones if all decent makers took the time to give their basses a look recognizable as their own.

Heck, even though Leo Fender was instrumental in the design of the Precision, the Stingray and finally the instruments from G&L noone would mistake them for a Fender, even though you could never overlook the influence.

15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I think beer man is feeling a little surly tonight. Too much beer, perhaps?

16. Bassists generally want traditional basses, so it's smart to make them. Look at what happened with Reverend: great basses, people rave about them, but they were just unable to sell enough to turn a decent profit. If MusicMan sold only Bongos, their business model would fail in no time without Stingray sales to sustain it.

17. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Fender basses....the most copied basses in the world bar none. There are companies who try to emulate the Fender sound and feel while others change it. Whether or not a Fender copy actually sounds and plays better than a U.S. made Fender is up to you and your wallet.

18. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Well, the two body designs I really like are the Jazz and the Musicman ones (oval pickguard, not the ugly 5 string one) - what can I say, I'm a sucker for them.

That and right now since they're copied so much, I can get my cheap SX instruments for well, cheap.

19. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Are you telling me the big oversized feel of a Fender isnt kool sometimes? Sometimes I just get tired of playing tiny bodies like Warwicks and whatnot.

20. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Have you heard of?
    Ken Smith
    Pedulla
    Stambaugh
    FBB
    JP
    Roscoe
    Zon
    F-Bass
    Musicman
    Ritter
    Just to name a few.
    There are plenty of bass builders who are not making fender style basses.