Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

No one owns a fodera!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nunk6, Nov 2, 2000.

1. nunk6

nunk6

Jul 29, 2000
    hey i'm starting my life long quest today; i'm going to save all my money and then go out and buy a fodera 4 string monarch.......
    someone stop me,
    has anyone ever played a fodera 4 string, or any fodera?!
    i really really would like to know what you think of the sound, is the sound that great or are they just plain expensive??

2. I played a few Foderas at Vic's Bass/Nature camp. Some I loved, and some I didn't as much. I loved the 5 string, I think the Emporer...it was one of the most comfortable basses I ever played. The fours are pretty good. I think it really depends on the setup.

As far as sound, I think they're awesome! They have really excellent detailed sound. Now, they are pretty much the most expensive basses I have ever seen. I don't know how much I'd want one, just cause they really are so much. Take that with some salt, though...I spent $3K on my MTD!!!

--Len

3. Bass7755

Bass7755 Supporting Member

Oct 27, 2000
    Roanoke, Va.
    I have a Fodera. I have been playing for about 29 years.
    After moving around a lot..from one high end bass to another
    Tobias,Roscoe,Lakland and Modulus. I thought it was time
    to end the crazy GAS attacks and go for the "last bass I
    would ever need" I ordered a Emperor Elite 5 last October.
    I was told I would have an 8 month wait. I received the
    bass last June. When I opened the case it was like Christmas. It looked fantastic! It needed a Truss rod
    adjustment though. I noticed a small grounding pop. But
    the bass sounds,looks and plays great. I am not a very
    techie guy. So if you are looking for an in depth review well...I can only tell you I am really happy with my Fodera.
    I did have to return the bass to get the grounding problem
    resolved. They put in new pickups and a new preamp. I
    I received the bass back yesterday and life is good. No problems. They stand by their products. I am happy!! But now I have a Lakland and a Tobias that don't see a lot of action,and GAS for a 6er. Oh well.
    Dan

[Edited by Bass7755 on 11-07-2000 at 08:29 PM]

4. I had a Fodera 4 Monarch for about a week to demo. It was essentially a Vic Whooten EMG-equipped set-neck model but w/ a chestnut instead of flamed maple top.

It was a great sounding bass and playing bass with a terrifically shaped neck. The body contours and balance as it hung on my body were superb. My only criticisms of the Fodera were its weight and the stacked volume-passive tone knobs: it was hard to turn one without affecting the other.

I opted for a swamp ash maple fingerboard Sadowsky 4 string jazz because I preferred its tighter, growling, funky snappier slap and pop sounds. It had THE sound I was looking for. (You might be looking for a different sound.) The Sadowsky weighed much less.

Both basses sounded wonderful yet quite different, had superb craftsmanship, and great pre-amps (the best I've heard). They would compliment each other nicely as they achieve quite different tones. If I were to get another different sounding bass, I would seriously consider the Fodera again. They were the two best basses I have played to date.

5. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I LOVE Foderas. They are the best sounding basses ive played. The maple board Emporer 5 string at Bass NW right now is $4400, but sounds INCREDIBLE. SUPER confortable! And my dad promised me one for college!

The Monarchs sound VERY awesome, but the weight varies by about 3-4 pounds. So you may order a light bass and get a heavy one.

To me, the perfect Fodera would be a Fodera Monarch 5 with buckeye burl top, neck through ash body, with a maple neck and birds eye board. Mmmm....

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I think Kevin Walker's old Fodera is for sale over at LABX. It's got Smith pickups in it. I saw it, but didn't play it. Anyone remember Kevin?

7. Sweet Jeebus--$4400 is a huge chunk of a year's tuition for me, and I'm at a friggin' Ivy League school.

You have a Modulus, dude. I'd kill for a Modulus or a comparable bass, or at least give up my left testicle (if Mr. Sadowsky is reading this, the offer still stands...*grin*). I know you're only 14 and you've got a long time ahead of you before college, but having a $4400 bass in college is like the rich sorority girls here with their $40,000 Mercedes SUVs that they drive from their house to class and back, and no further. Plus, a bass is a pretty tasty target for thieves, who abound at any and every university. Were I you, I'd bring just the Tune or the Modulus to school, or else just get a comparatively inexpensive but still high-quality instrument like an MTD Grendel or Warwick Corvette for collegiate use.

8. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Munji, who is this kevin of which you speak?

Analog, id be a music college. I wouldnt even take my Modulus to a regular college! Thats why id get a new bass then.

9. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    And besides, my brothers college payments will be like twice mine! Gotta make up for it somewhere! ;)

I think if i wanted a cheaper bass (ahem, not CHEAP bass, cheapER), id get an Ibanez BTB. Solidly built, sounds great, and only about $600-700!

10. I see...

Well, to each his own. Anyhow, a good cello or violin costs as much as about ten Foderas, so your dad is getting off comparatively cheap.

11. I own two of these beauties.

A Monarch Deluxe four string and an Emperor Elite five string. The Monarch is a VW classic with the flame maple top, mahogany body and rosewood board. The Emperor has an ash body, buckeye burl top and ebony board. IMO they are awesome. Sure they can be a bit heavy but for the range and quality of sounds I just love them. They do support their instruments as well. I would add though that it really is down to personal choice so you should definitely try before you buy.

Good Luck.

12. I was in LA in August and played that bass. At that time, I was looking to buy another 5 string and a Fodera was an option. I thought it played very well and sounded great (as expected). However, based on that experience and another with a Monarch, I really didn't get why the Foderas are so much more expensive than a Sadowsky or MTD (just to name a few). The basses I played was also quite heavy and had a neck dive that sorta turned me off.

I ended up with a new Sadowsky Vintage 5 which to me sounded and played better. Guess that's why we have choices - everyone can get what suits them best.

Jeff

13. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    the old know-it-all from the lakland board? d'ya ever hear some of his stuff? what a maroon.

14. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
  15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    jt -

I was guilty of taunting ol' Kev ... it was fun, but a lot like shooting fish in a barrel. I listened to his MP3 stuff ... it was pedestrian at best. You'd think he'd put something up a little flashier. However, the guys over at LABX assure me that he's "a pretty good player." Like me, I guess.

16. Bass7755

Oct 27, 2000
    Roanoke, Va.
    OK.. We have some Fodera fans here. And I thought I
    was the only one!!
    Dan

17. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I don't think a bass should cost more than $600.

18. Bass7755

Oct 27, 2000
    Roanoke, Va.
    Brad, Don't you mean $6.000.00
    Dan

19. Bass7755

Oct 27, 2000
    Roanoke, Va.
    Hey JimS You Sure gots lots of them there gitars.
    like them PRSes... But I like em!!
    Dan

20. Bass7755

Oct 27, 2000
    Roanoke, Va.
    Hey Jim, just kidding with ya. I don't know how to do
    the little face thingies yet. :)
    Dan