1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

No P-sized Neck Option for Upmarket Jazzes

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Joseph Draxx, Jun 21, 2007.

1. This has been getting me down a little bit lately.

With all the great jazzes and p/j going around at the moment (Metro's Nordy's etc) why is there no option for a P sized neck.

I have contacted a couple of these builders asking is its possible as a one off and always get the same answer - its not something they are looking at doing right now.

I have massive gas over these basses, but I like big chunky neck. Something I can wrap my hands around. Jazz necks don't really do it for me.

Am I the only one who feels that this option would be a good one to have?
    Are there people out there 'settling' for a Jazz neck where they would have preferred something more substantial in their digits?

2. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Why don't you get one and make it fit?

3. I wouldn't have a problem doing that with a fender but would you really do that to a Metro, Nordy etc?

4. mellobud

mellobud

May 17, 2007
    Missouri
    If he likes the metro/nordy and feels like putting the p bass neck on it....why the hell not?

5. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    G&L JB2 with a number 5 or number 7 neck. Problem solved.

6. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    My mia dlx jazz V, has a neck profile very reminisent of a
    70's PBass. Much chunkier than I would usually like. But
    its a killer bass.

7. I have the same problem. nice MIA Jazz with pup upgrades and preamp installed, neck feels like a toothpick. I won't sell the bass as it has lovely tone and sentimental value. I would replace the neck but I don't know which to buy. It's not like you can go and try out aftermarket necks.

Peace

8. Warmoth makes a fine Fender replacement neck. No dead spots, assymetric contour, and 1 11/16" nut width. This is halfway between a Fender "B" and "C" width (1 5/8" and 1 3/4").

I ordered my G&L L1500 with the #7 neck, 1 3/4" width, because I also prefer more meat than a Jazz neck. If you want it chunky, the L1500 is ever so slightly more meaty than the Fender Precision. I find the "B" neck is my favorite, followed by "C" and the "A" size Jazz neck is last.

9. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Keep in mind the "Metro" line, is a budget line designed as a less expensive alternative to the NYC basses. That being said, offering multiple neck sizes makes no sence at all. I'm with you. I'm not a fan of those skinny little toothpick necks either, but the cold hard truth is that that market goes for skinny little neck. The market for a P necks on quasi custom type basses is pretty limited unfortunatly IMO.

The best solution for you is to save up for a NYC Sad, or similar bass, that can be ordered with your specs. I'm sure Rodger or someone like him would be willling to build you a J with a propper man sized neck. ;)

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 25, 2021