1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

No payment

Discussion in 'Classifieds Usage Discussion and Help' started by cegrant, Oct 7, 2013.

1. cegrant

cegrant Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2009
    Buford, GA
    Once some one has committed to buy a bass, how long should I wait for payment before I place for sale again?

2. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon. Supporting Member

For sale where? TB, CL, eBay?

3. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

How did they commit ?
    Paypal, check, money order.
    Or did they just say they wanted bass.
    Did they verify payment ?
    Is there a deal ?

4. cegrant

Apr 4, 2009
    Buford, GA
    The bass is here on talk bass. The person negotiated a price and agreed to purchase. They requested PayPal address to send funds on Friday see nothing. No reply to a message sent earlier.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Maybe 5 days tops. I would send warning before you put it up for sale again just to be fair, though.

6. LutherHeggs00

LutherHeggs00

Apr 11, 2006
    Send him a couple more emails this week with the last one stating you're going to relist it and then list it again Sunday. Let anyone else interested know what's going on and that you'll keep them informed as well. That's about as reasonable as I'd be.

7. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    If it were me, I would give it until tomorrow morning, then send a PM letting the person know that you plan on re-listing and asking one more time if the commitment to purchase is still there.

Hopefully the individual is ok and has not had something serious come up.

8. mark beem

mark beem I'm alive and well. Where am I? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    Had the exact same thing happen to me last week.

9. ROOTSnFIFTHS

ROOTSnFIFTHS Low-end Lover since '78!

Oct 25, 2012
    NJ to Sin City
    Sometimes people get away for the weekend. Maybe he/she forgot they offered(seems unlikely though).
    Without a communication attempt I would relist on Wednesday.

10. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    You've been waiting three days since providing your addy for payment?

As a buyer, I let them know if the payment will be delayed a few hours (or whatever amount of time) at the same time as requesting the P**Pal addy from the seller. It's not fair for a buyer to assume they can delay for an unspecified amount of time!

As a seller, I normally expect payment within a few hours of providing the addy to the interested party. No communication from them in 3 days would not be reasonable.

I'd relist it, and inform the interested person at the same time. My way is to remain professional, and not use harsh words or language toward someone that may be experiencing 'real' problems on their end.

11. This has happened to me here a few times. Someone says they'll take it, but they need a day or two to move some money around.

Then....crickets. Meanwhile, other buyers are ready to go but I'm still holding it for the first guy. Learned my lesson, no more "holding". A bird in the hand....

12. cegrant

Apr 4, 2009
    Buford, GA
    Thanks to all for your helpful advice. My thought process seems to be in line with others.

13. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon. Supporting Member

If I buy or sell on TB, I expect to pay/be paid within 24 hours unless agreed to otherwise.

In any case, payment date should be set upfront. Many of us need a few days to get funds together and this should be confirmed up front. People go on vacation, payday can fall on a Monday, etc.

Hell, I bought a MTD bass off a TBer and we agreed he would take a small deposit as I needed a month to pull together the funds. We were both cool with the deal and in the end, both very happy.

Ping the buyer asking how/when he/she plans to pay as you need the $$$ to ship the bass.

14. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Jule-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    This.

In the age of smart phones, constant communication is mandatory; if they really wanted it they wouldn't have gone MIA since Friday.

Simply send them a message saying that hopefully nothing serious came up but obviously you have to relist the bass; they can still complete the deal at any point up until someone else pays you for it anyway.

15. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Alien Audio / Mesa Fanatic!! Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    IMHO, this is the worst part of TB. You're not permitted to leave negative feedback, so the flakes become more and more pervasive. I give the buyer 24 hours unless we work something out. Most people that are really going to buy it send the money within an hour of getting the PayPal info unless they say something like "I'm at work and will send the money when I get home."

16. cegrant

Apr 4, 2009
    Buford, GA
    Well I had to open it back up. Still no communication.

17. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Had that happen to me as well not too long ago. And funny......I checked to see if the guy had been online and he was...daily! SMH! I ended up selling to another buyer. I didn't bother messaging the first guy.

18. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Alien Audio / Mesa Fanatic!! Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    I just don't get why someone would say "I'll take it", get the PayPal info and then disappear. It seems to be happening a lot within the past year or so. Do wives find out and shut it down? People have no idea what their bank account balance is? An out break of alien abductions?

19. cegrant

Apr 4, 2009
    Buford, GA
    I can understand all of those reasons. Simply communicate!!!

20. Babaghanoush

Babaghanoush

Jan 21, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    If there's a similar item being sold elsewhere (eBay), getting it off the market here has some obvious benefits. I'd be curious if this kind if ploy goes on.