1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

No place in my city to compare a Stingray SLO with EBMM Sterling

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cockbloctopus, Mar 14, 2017.

1. wideload

wideload

Apr 15, 2004
    Salinas, CA
    SLO is about a 3 1/2 hour jaunt up Hwy 101, but it's a nice drive. Call them to make sure a visit or tour is available.

cockbloctopus likes this.
  2. I grew up and live in SLO and Ernie Ball has told me to drive to guitar center in LA for the nearest place to try out their basses. I want to try a Caprice (real bad), told them I live in town and they say they don't offer demos at the factory for anyone other than endorsed artists. My buddy who works there can't even hook me up with a way to try one out because the shop loaners (for employees) keep getting bought up.

3. cockbloctopus

cockbloctopus

Mar 10, 2017
    Well there goes that idea. Thanks for chiming in.

4. gjohnson441496

gjohnson441496

Dec 14, 2014
    It just so happens I tried a MM EB Sterling last week and I want it. Like you said, slim neck, smaller body and I really dug the tone. The 3 way switch is another selling point for me. I have a Fender Jazz bass with the series/parallel button and it comes in handy. The 3 way switch on the Sterling does the same - series/parallel/single coil. I've played Stingrays but couldn't get past the necks. The ones I tried had necks that were way too glossy to play fast on, and the tone didn't impress me as much as the Sterlings I've tried. I don't do a lot of slap bass but I found it very easy to do on that Sterling. As a matter of fact, all I wanted to do was slap that thing. I have 2 P basses (one with flats, the other with rounds) and a J bass. The Sterling would be a great addition to my arsenal, and I've already warmed my wife up to the fact that I may be buying another bass.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your search and enjoy the ride!

5. AztecViking

AztecViking Supporting Member

Oct 12, 2010
    EndlessSummerVille, CA
    EBMM doesn't give tours and has no showroom at the factory to try out basses. But in theory there should be some decent places to try them in Los Angeles. I'd ask nostatic about that.

nostatic

I've never been to summer NAMM show in Nashville so I don't know if EBMM regularly has a booth full of basses there but they usually do at winter Anaheim NAMM. That's where I've done my EBMM bass comparing.

I've got 2 Stingray 5HH's BTW. One fretted and one fretless but I also really liked the Sterling's I've tried. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  6. No problem. It might be worth calling the factory and asking if you can try one out, or where you can. They gave me the closest store that carries the model Caprice I want. Not all guitar centers carry the same Ernie Ball models, and the factory could at least point you in the right direction for what you want.

(I have to drive past 2 guitar centers to find the nearest one that actually stocks a Caprice)

AztecViking likes this.
  7. cockbloctopus

cockbloctopus

Mar 10, 2017
    I was able to track down a Sterling4 HS Starry Night with a little help from this thread. I've been looking everywhere for the Starry Night finish on a SLO or Sterling. I have 48 hours to make a decision and won't be able to take a Sterling HS for a test drive before then, but I think I'm gonna pull the trigger. I've only been able to find Stingrays with that finish, and don't know if I'll have another shot if I hold off. I'll let y'all know how everything works out. Thanks for all your help

8. Sid the Kid

Sid the Kid Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Illinois
    Be aware that the HS version of the Sterling does not have a Parallel bridge setting. This means that an HS will never ever sound like a Stingray. However the HS has it's own amazing sounds in position 2 and 3, so you probably won't miss the parallel setting.

cockbloctopus likes this.
  9. cockbloctopus

cockbloctopus

Mar 10, 2017
    Thank you for the heads up. I'm gonna take a stab at it and let they cards fall where the fall, and maybe there will be a Stingray SLO or a Sterling5 HH at some point in the future, particularly if I ever sell my Geddy Lee Jazz bass.

10. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Since the Starry Night run is complete, you probably need to grab one ASAP. I'd go with a surrogate of playing a Jazz neck and a Precision neck. If you prefer the Precision, get a standard Stingray. Prefer the Jazz? Get a SLO or a Sterling. I have a Sterling HS and really enjoy that setup and the neck is very comfy. But, I think the only neck I've hated is the Warwick 5 wide. I think the strings were parallel nut to bridge.

11. Groovin-G

Groovin-G

Jan 29, 2017
    Ontario, Canada
    Hi Cockbloctopus;

I was pretty much in your situation where I couldn't seem to locate a Stingray Slo to try it out ahead of time. Since I am used to my Fender Jazz and was able to play other EBMM models I was confident that I would prefer the Slo neck. I ordered one (HH) without trying it in person first and have been very happy with it.

Good luck,

G

jakka1 likes this.
  12. project_c

project_c

May 8, 2008
    London, UK
    I tested a Stingray and a Sterling side by side not so long ago and found both basses really nice, but the Sterling sounded very different to the Ray, I didn't love the tone as much as i wanted to. It was a black/maple Sterling, one of the nicest looking basses i've ever seen, felt and played great but the tone was missing something (for my playing style anyway). But then I played the Stingray and the tone was there straight away, fat growly Stingray goodness. So based on that i'd say get a Stingray if you're after that tone, even though the Sterling is a nicer looking and feeling bass (imo).

13. AztecViking

AztecViking Supporting Member

Oct 12, 2010
    EndlessSummerVille, CA
    Please let us know if you get it and what you think once you've got it. Those starry nights are a nice run of instruments. :thumbsup:

14. slagheap

slagheap

Dec 23, 2011
    me done that. me good customer, not big dollars, but solid. twice ordered two basses, each time sent one back ( 'cause Fender, y'know? ) they don't like it much but when they realize you're serious, they back off and do their jobs.

15. Gasman

Gasman Gold Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2007
    South Carolina
    Buy one used. You will save money and, if you don't like the one you bought, turn around and sell it for about what you spent and get the other. Personally I prefer Stingrays, but you can't go wrong with either.

I think the difference between Sterlings and Stingrays is pretty subtle but it is there. Both will get you the EBMM sound. Sterlings are a bit more versatile but won't get that classic Stingray sound exactly.

16. cockbloctopus

cockbloctopus

Mar 10, 2017
    I was able to get my hands on an ebmm Sterling 5 hh earlier and I absolutely loved it. Personally I thought it blew the stingray 4 I tried away. I have no need for a 5 string, so I am going to march ahead with the sterling 4. I'll post pics when she arrives!

AztecViking, SLO Surfer and jakka1 like this.
  17. cockbloctopus

cockbloctopus

Mar 10, 2017
    I finally got the EBMM Sterling 4 HS Starry Night today and I can't put it down. The neck is straight butter and I am flying all over it. Also, I'm not much of a slapper, I prefer to play fingerstyle, but this baby just begs to be slapped. Amazing tone. I play a lot of ska punk, and playing in position 1 (humbucker) with a pick is giving me the tone I've always dreamed of (think Less Than Jake). Thanks for all your help. I literally wouldn't have landed her without talkbass. Specific thanks to jakka1

FingerDub, andruca and jakka1 like this.
  18. FingerDub

FingerDub Inactive

Jan 8, 2016
    Killer bro. Love to hear that ****. Necks are truly easy to fly on.

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021