1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

no pots

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by GODSBASSMAN, Nov 6, 2010.

1. GODSBASSMAN

GODSBASSMAN

Feb 2, 2005
    S. Carolina
    What are the options in wiring a pickup to the jack without any potentiometers. Would a resistor or capacitor be of any benefit?
    Thanks.

2. Without the resistive loading of the pots against the pickups, you will get slightly more output/treble.

If you want the same tone as if the volume were on "10," you could add a resistor equal to the value of the volume pot to simulate the effect. With multiple volume pots, you can determine the total resistance as R[SUB]Total[/SUB]= 1/([1/R[SUB]1[/SUB]]+[1/R[SUB]2[/SUB]]+...[1/R[SUB]n[/SUB]])

As far as the tones, you can simulate the effect of a tone on "0" by simply placing the capacitor parallel to the output, or "10" by putting the capacitor in series with a resistor the value of the tone pot, parallel to the output.

3. GODSBASSMAN

GODSBASSMAN

Feb 2, 2005
    S. Carolina
    line6man, I was hoping you would answer this and I thank you. This is absolutely clear. :hyper:

4. GODSBASSMAN

GODSBASSMAN

Feb 2, 2005
    S. Carolina
    for simplicity sake I ended up wiring the Q BL6 straight to the jack WITHOUT any other electronic component. Volume, tone, all EQ are controlled by the amplifier preamp. This is a wonderful way to fly. Is surprisingly very musical, even string to string, needing a slight attenuation of the treble. I was thinking the Q tuner would be absolutely zingy but it proved not to be the case. Much easier to dial up "THE TONES".
    Peace from one happy bassplayer here. :hyper: :D :hyper: