1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

No preference between Jazz and Precision size necks?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ScarfFace, Jan 8, 2017.

1. ScarfFace

ScarfFace Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2014
    La Crosse WI
    I'm just curious if there are players who go back and forth without caring or even noticing a difference between jazz necks with thin nut widths and profiles and big fat P necks. Maybe you care a little, but something else is far more important like neck radius, finish, or fretboard material...
    Are there even some who switch from 30" scale to 34" scale with ease?
    I think I have a preference for P necks, but I've just started playing Hofners and I really like them and I'm surprised by that.

2. twinjet

twinjet AJ, you're the MAN! Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    This used to be me, but I started noticing more hand cramping when I played my Precision bass. Jazz necks and I get along well.

ScarfFace likes this.
  3. I have a Jaguar , a strato , a tele and hollowbody guitar.
    Neck difference isnt problem LOL.
    But if you take the j bass, after play p bass, your fingers can play ultra fast.

ScarfFace likes this.
  4. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013

I've played 19", 30" and 34" basses on the same gig, all with very different nut widths. It isn't an issue.

1stnamebassist and ScarfFace like this.
  5. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    All of my available brain space is thinking about the music I'm playing and not concerned at all about the instrument. Within reason of course.

ScarfFace likes this.
  6. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    I play J-basses, P-basses, acoustic basses, upright basses. I play 30", 32", 34" and 42" scales. Sure, I notice a difference, and have preferences, after all, they ARE different instruments, but nothing makes them unplayable.

ScarfFace likes this.
  7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Notice: YES

Care: NO

Gluvhand, marko138, woodyng2 and 2 others like this.
  8. ScarfFace

ScarfFace Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2014
    La Crosse WI
    Thanks for all the great responses!

9. Rockonjp76

Rockonjp76

Aug 8, 2016
    716, NY
    Doesn't affect me either.

ScarfFace likes this.
  10. I'm relatively uncomplaining about most bass and guitar specs. A great guitar is a great guitar, and if I have to adjust a bit, it's a small price to pay. Now that I've been playing all scales, nut widths, bridge spacings, neck profiles, etc. for decades, it's never more than a few minutes and I'm playing about as well (or badly) as ever.

Specifically, I would never be without one Precision and one Jazz in my arsenal, because they each bring such different and useful tonal possibilities.

ScarfFace likes this.
  11. The Chuck

The Chuck

Dec 11, 2013
    Wilmington, NC
    I switch between the two. I prefer the Jazz neck but can adjust to the P without much trouble at all.

MrMoonlight and ScarfFace like this.
  12. woodyng2

woodyng2 Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    I have both a J and a P,but i greatly prefer the P neck.
    Part of that has to be the nut width,but also in this case,the AVRI P has a finished maple fretboard,vintage size frets,7.25 radius,and is generally just finished to a higher quality than the rosewood fretboard AmStd J.

ScarfFace likes this.
  13. Same here, neck size and dimensions or shape doesn't matter to me. Rosewood or maple doesn't matter to me. Scale length no concern. Jumbo frets or thin vintage frets I have no concern about. I don't care if a bass has neck dive. What I do care about is a bass that weighs less than 10 lbs. and it sounds good. I really don't notice much difference in necks. Just need to have a good setup. I do like the zerofret idea though. No nuts to worry about replacing or filing.

ScarfFace likes this.
  14. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    Just a matter of adapting. The more you play a range of stringed instruments, the less it'll be a problem.

ScarfFace likes this.
  15. marko138

marko138

May 24, 2013
    Perry County PA
    This. Makes no difference to me. Now, scale length and string spacing does mess with me.

ScarfFace likes this.
  16. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Same here.

ScarfFace likes this.
  17. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    any neck chunkier than a mij 62 ri jazz and smaller than a gretsch electromatic hollowbody is just fine with me

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    ScarfFace likes this.
  18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I do like a J neck a little better than a P, but I have both and I have no problem going back and forth between them. You can get used to anything.

19. I have noticed that I can play faster on a precision before. For some reason I only keep white jazz basses though.

Now, big bass necks with thick bass strings to short guitars with skinny little strings, I can't do too well outside of some mediocre chord bashing. I've considered making a guitar with a longer scale and wider neck to accommodate this, but I think it boils down to practice since I can play a soprano ukulele just fine.

20. Geri O

Geri O Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    I play 5-strings Fender Jazz and Precision basses, the necks are pretty much the same (save this newer neck on the Elite Jazz, I notice a small difference at first grab, but not past that.

I notice more difference between those basses and a Music Man SR5. After a few minutes, it feels natural.