Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

No radius - flat fingerboard - for a 7 strings ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JP Basses, Aug 9, 2003.

1. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Hi all,

I'm currently in the planning stages for Jojobass new bass, a headless Zia 7 strings bass

(Jojobass also owns Plums bass #24052003 )

We were talking abut fingerboard radius today and we both came ouy with the idea of using a flat fingerboard. I studied classical guitar for 10 years so I love flat boards and now how fast they can be. I just can't see a 7 stings board wih my usual 16" radius. A 20" or more radius would be almost flat and add nothing in payability IMO.

What radius do your 7+ basses have??

Peace,
    JP

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
  3. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    JP - I started out as a classical guitarist as well, and love flatter radius boards.

I've played Trip's 8, and it was amazingly comfortable and fast. I think you should go for the flatter board! :D

4. On wide necks I defintely prefer the board as flat as I can get it. That usually means somewhere in the 18-20" range, though--I don't know how much different a board that's actually flat would feel. If Jerome is into the idea, though, it makes sense to give it a shot. Hopefully jt, Stew, boogiebass and some of the other 7-8 string players will be able to give some more hands-on experience and recommendations.

Mike

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    The Conklin GT-BD7s have a radius of 16" if I remember correctly. It made it very easy to access the E and B strings with the board so flat. The only downside for me was that I wasn't able to do some of the same barring and hammering maneuvers I could with a fingerboard with a smaller radius that matched the natural curve of my fingers.

6. Dammit!!! Jerome is gettin' a new JP!!!
    Congrats!
    I guess a flatter board would be easier to play on a 7 string bass, IMO!

JP, you're not a liar! Once one get a JP, he wants another one!!!;)
    We are waiting for Xush's next JP...:D
    larry:bassist:

7. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Thanks for the comments guys...

I think the bass will definitely sport a flat fingerboard :D

Peace, JP

8. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Yes, Jérôme does it again ;)

you thought I was a liar??? Really?? Haha... wait until you buy your first one :D

lol

Peace, JP

9. AhAh!!! that's not what I meant!;) i'm sure you understand:D
    Anyway, waitin to know what i'll take atrocious...

larry

10. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i need a radius because my fingers are sort of small and the radiused boards help me play.

but that's just me :)

11. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    John, is it a similar reason to the one I mentioned involving barring and certain string-crosssing hammers and pulls, or something else entirely?

12. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    screw flat....how about ConcavE?

13. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    a little bump !

Peace, JP

14. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    So yes, we decided on a flat fingerboard!!

Here's some (little) progress on the bass.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Peace, JP

15. The paduak fretboad binding came out looking really nice. Good work! Could be really cool with a transparent black stain on the body, since it look like you're testing color samples...

Mike

16. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Thanks Mike

Yeah in fact i did some testing but We're probably sticking with natural finally. They're be some maple lines matching the top here and there...between the fingerboard and the neck for example, just like you suggested ;)

Peace, JP

17. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    JP

Beautiful work again. And a bound fingerboard- a bit of a departure from your usual simplicity. How about some padauk block markers too while you're at it?

That stain on the top looks just fantastic, especially at the very top where it looks like you have both red and black. Matches both the padauk and the wenge at the same time. Great!

18. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    just feels better - more natural. after all, when you hold the neck, your fingers are curved. every flat boarded neck i've ever played felt sorta weird to me.

19. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Looks sweet JP!!!

Keep the pics coming!!

20. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    here's a little bump