1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

No Rain - Blind Melon. That tone.

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by rlb8987, Oct 2, 2018.

1. rlb8987

rlb8987

Nov 6, 2014
    Fair Haven, NY
    Hi all,

I play in a band that’s covering lots of 90s alternative/pop/rock songs, one of which is No Rain by Blind Melon. It’s a fun song to play, but the more I listen to the original recording the more I’ve tried to figure out how the bassist gets that tone. I know he’s playing through a jazz bass but beyond that I’m at a loss. Any suggestions?

2. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Just going from my memory -- it's been a while since I have heard that song on a good sound system -- I'd say favor the neck pickup and pluck close to the neck.

Ryan6491 and rlb8987 like this.
  3. Bodeanly

Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    ErikP.Bass likes this.
  4. rlb8987

rlb8987

Nov 6, 2014
    Fair Haven, NY
    That was a great thread, thanks. Lots of really good info.

ErikP.Bass and Bodeanly like this.
  5. Bodeanly

Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    /good deed for the day

rlb8987 likes this.
  6. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I remember covering that song back in the day and digging that whole album, basically because of Brad Smith. Great tone and a great player.

rlb8987 likes this.
  7. avvie

avvie

Oct 12, 2010
    Maui, HI
    I have a P/J that copped that tone with stainless steel strings in middle position.

rlb8987 likes this.
  8. RyanOh

RyanOh Gold Supporting Member

Wondered this myself recently. Seems like played with a pick on the recording.

From Blind Melon - No Rain | Wiki @ Ultimate-Guitar.com

Brad Smith Brad used his Fender '69 Jazz Bass with EMG pickups.
    Brad run his Jazz Bass through a tube direct box and a '70s Ampeg SVT miked with an EV-PL20.

Amp settings
    • Gain - 1
    • Treble - 4
    • Mids - 4
    • Bass - 1
    • Volume - 8-9

etherealme likes this.
  9. rlb8987

rlb8987

Nov 6, 2014
    Fair Haven, NY
    I’m actually looking at getting a PJ at the moment. Will be interesting to see how it sounds!

avvie likes this.
  10. rlb8987

rlb8987

Nov 6, 2014
    Fair Haven, NY
    Wow, good info. Unfortunately I have none of that gear! Haha.

Ryan6491 likes this.
  11. RyanOh

RyanOh Gold Supporting Member

Active pickups would help. Use a pick just below the neck. I just tried a Stingray 4HH and a 5 string with EMG soapbars. Trim back on the bridge pickup. I have nickel rounds on them.

Fun song.

12. Major_Rager_4MF

Major_Rager_4MF

Aug 8, 2017
    Isolated bass track

13. avvie

avvie

Oct 12, 2010
    Maui, HI
    As I mentioned, I have a PJ that copped that tone, and it sounds like the EMGs in his jazz bass duplicates the thickness of a P pickup. It's been a long time since I've heard the tune, but I never noticed the slight fuzz.

14. pglaser01

pglaser01

Mar 19, 2013
    St. Louis, MO
    If only I were that good....
    Definitely top 2 hardest songs I had to sing when I was vocalist of a 90s alternative group....it’s a unique voice to say the least.

15. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    After listening to the isolated bass track posted above, to me, there’s nothing remarkable about that tone. It sounds like a Jazz Bass with new round wound strings. I can easily get that tone with my stock Squier Affinity Jazz V.

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 16, 2021