1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

No recovery threads on TB?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by t77mackie, Aug 6, 2012.

1. t77mackie

t77mackie

Jun 13, 2012
    Wormtown, MA
    I don't believe for a second that we've got this many musicians in one place and not one has struggled with addiction! Maybe my search skills are sub par?

I believe this is as good as any place to have a recovery discussion because: 1. it's anonymous 2. there's always someone here whilst a lot of times sponsors / family / friends might not be available 3. it's no secret that drugs and musicians in like peanut butter and jelly.

Anyone struggling or want to talk feel free to PM me.

-Cheers errr... you know what I mean!

-mac

2. There have been a few IIRC, and at least a few members discussing recovery or past addictions.

What I will say, it may not be as anonymous as you'd think, a lot of people here know each other in real life or have contact with each other outside of TB.

3. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I have not faced this struggle, but know a few who have. Wormtown, eh? The mighty Woo? You're 15 minuts from me. 'Sup bass brother?

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    This subject comes up quite a bit here in OT.

-Mike

5. The force is strong in this one.

6. Yep!

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Oh yeah, that too. I hardly consider the internet anonymous anymore.

Especially is the case for me here in TBOT. I've been posting here over 10 years and know many of these folks in "real life". I don't post anything here I wouldn't say in person, or that I wouldn't say in public.

-Mike

8. Definitely

Definitely Banned

I know that Mike's name is Mike, and he sucks at iPhone drawing. :D

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    HEY! I'm using my thumb on the screen of my Droid3. Leave me alone!

:D

-Mike

10. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    Isn't internet anonymity surface only ? [can't a tech savy person figure out who someone is?]

11. Definitely

Definitely Banned

At least you have a Droid...mine was stolen in May :/. But I still have the iPod to show you up on :D.

12. Definitely

Definitely Banned

Easily. I love how this thread has become about Internet anonymity and my Draw Something game with Mike more than recovery :D.

13. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

Jul 7, 2009
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    TB is an addiction. I don't know how it happened.....

One day I was searching for information on fuzz pedals specifically designed for bass (besides the Bass Muff) and one of the Google results led me to a thread in the effects section here. Usually I don't read through whole threads that pop up in my search results, but I kept on reading because all the boutique pedal names were amusing me. Then I searched the site itself about compressors.

I bookmarked the home page.
    I had no idea what I had done.

After I had read a lot of stuff here about almost everything I was interested in, I thought I could just move on with my life...... But I couldn't stop browsing the forums. Then I discovered OT.

All I can say is that I live one day at a time. :atoz:

14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    May? What are you waiting for to replace it? Come on already.

I'll try and draw some better pictures. Usually I am trying to draw them while I am driving, which cuts into my ability to perfect the image.

-Mike

15. dmonroe

dmonroe

Jun 16, 2010
    Augusta, GA
    Actually there is probably quite a few here, like myself, that have things to say that may even be helpful to someone else. There are way too many restrictions/filters/rules about what you can say and how you can say it to even bother with.

16. Bass players have addiction problems?

17. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Yes, Im addicted to mind altering substances and women, which may also count as a mind altering substance.

18. Definitely

Definitely Banned

I have the worst luck with phones. In the past year and a half 4 of my phones have gone missing, leading me to the conclusion I should no longer purchase mobile devices....

19. BelleNoireBass

BelleNoireBass

Apr 18, 2012
    Bay Area
    Oh you can bet that they are!

20. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I, at first, thought that perhaps the drugs hadnt yet worn off, but its been, like, 2 days now...