Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

No regrets on my new rig...Ya right

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CanadianBass48, Aug 8, 2005.

1. CanadianBass48

CanadianBass48

May 8, 2005
    Ont, Can
    Well I finally did it. I got a rig. Not really the one I have been dreaming of, dang it, but a rig none the less. I bought a used Ampeg SVT 5-Pro with hopes to hook it up to a Basson B410B. My head didn't have enough power though and I ended up going for a B210B cad. I kind-of wished that I would have just gone with a Ashdown MAG 300 head and a 410 cab and a 115 cab. Ya, such is life though. The Ashdown would have been under or around $1000 were as my current rig was like $1100. O well. Live and learn. I am hoping that it will be loud enough when I throw in a drummer and a guitarist or two. See ya guys on a different thread.

2. Just sell the Basson and get a more effecient cab if you need to be louder.

3. CanadianBass48

CanadianBass48

May 8, 2005
    Ont, Can
    Ya, if this doesn't work out then thats what I am going to do. I will sell the head to cause I am really looking at ashdown. If I was going to get a ashdown cab then I would just get a head too for the sweet warm tones that ashdowns are fomous for.

4. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    :meh: Your telling me that a Basson B410B being driven by 680 watts isn't loud enough? :confused: Am I missing something here?

That head should be plenty powerful enough and give you a decent warmth in tone. I think you need to get rid of the Basson cab and get something else.

5. CanadianBass48

CanadianBass48

May 8, 2005
    Ont, Can
    I got the basson 210. It is like 500 watts at 4 ohms. It does pretty good but no were near the 410. I think that I blew the horn on my new cab though. Hehehehehe, ops. Ya, I think it will be good for my gigs. Ya, I just wanted to say that I got the 210 cause you had thought that I had gotten the 410.

6. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    I talked to one of the owners of basson bass cabs via email here what he said.

"Hey Rob,

The B410B measures (LxWxH) 28 5/8" x 17 1/4" x 35 1/4" and weighs 148lbs. It
    is power hungry because each speaker has a magnet weight of 200 oz. and that
    takes a lot of power to drive correctly. Yes. 750 watts @ 8 ohms is MINIMUM,
    900 watts at 8 ohms is better. We run the Ampeg SVT-4 here at the factory in
    the Bi-Ampable channel which I believe is 1,200+. Our Bass amps will be out
    later this year. As far as "muffled" goes I haven't heard that one yet. I
    would say that's not the case at all. They have a huge low end, great mids
    and clean highs. Everyone who owns one LOVES it. I would say that opinion
    came from someone who doesn't own one and hasn't played one correctly."

Thats it for ya, directly from one of the enginerrs/owners of the company.

I was thinking about getting there 410 but a 145lb 410 sounds a weeee bit heavey. Not to mention shipping HAH.

7. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    148 lbs! 200oz magnets!?! That's way beyond heavy, I hope it comes with a roadie.

8. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Man..when I load up my 98 lb. Berg NV610, I can't imagine why ANYONE would buy a 148 lb 4-10!

9. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    Heh... I thought the same thing last night while I was loading my 30 lb DR250.

10. Jugghaid

Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    You and me both Bro. I love mine.

11. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    *nods in agreement* that SVT5PRO, when matched with a cab of any kind of good quality will be stupid loud. 680W? Right now I'm using ~350W into a 2x15, and it never goes above one on the master, and my volume pedal at about 7/8ths! I'd say there's something wrong here...

-Ray

12. HOLY SCHMOLIGANS, BATMAN! :eek:

13. Have you tried any Yorkville speaker cabs? They're cheap in price for you (because they are made in Canada), they sound great and can take a lot of power. You can rent them from Long & McQuade and then put the rental money toward the purchace. You can alos get a great discount because if you buy the rentals, usually they're 1 - 2 years old which they knock off the price and you know they work because you've rented them and tried them out.

That's how I bought mine. Rented the 1x15 for a month and then sent them a check for 1/2 the cost of a new one. A couple of months later I rented the 2x10 for more volume and tone, tried it out, loved it and sent them another check for roughly 1/2 the cost of a new cab. I've been pushing 800watts into the 300watt speaker cabs for over 6-7 years without any complaints. Love them!

14. CanadianBass48

CanadianBass48

May 8, 2005
    Ont, Can
    thanks big benner. I'll keep that in mind. So about how much did you end up paying for those cabs then?

15. If I remember this correctly, I bought the 1x15 in the spring and the 2x10 in the fall of '96, so it's going back awhile. I think the 1x15 was in the rental department for well over a year so they knocked off over half the price. I believe I paid $150 plus my $25 month rental payment and I showed up after the month rental (without the cab) and just wrote them a check. The 2x10 was in the rental dept. for under a year so I believe I paid roughly $250 - $300 plus the $30 a month rental payment.

Like I said this was awhile ago so my memory is a little foggy. But think of this - how about going into the rental department of any Long & McQuade store, having a look around, trying something out (an amp, a speaker cab, a bass) for a month,... and that means taking it home, taking it to a gig, taking it into a buddies basement studio and really trying out that piece of gear and after a month if you don't like it you return it for a small rental charge. If you like it you put the rental money towards the purchase price which is quite low because the gear is "used",......... but you got to try it out for a month so you know it's good. ? How can you go wrong?