1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

No respect for basses at local GC

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mad_man_moon61, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Hi all,
    As most know the bass corner (pocket maybe?) is that
    small crawl space where Guitar Center has their bass
    section.
    My local GC has seen fit to eliminate even that now and
    place the basses & amp wherever they could find
    space.
    I do like GC but found this rather sad. Any thoughts?

Cheers,
    Douglas
    Texas
    :bassist:

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Consider the source.

3. CrazyArcher

CrazyArcher

Aug 5, 2004
    Israel
    Not always the store managers understand the industry. In my town the guitar store is run by 3 (really nice) people, and 2 of them play bass besides other instruments, so the basses recieve their own rack with plenty of space, and in this sense the most inferior category is the acoustic guitars.
    On the other hand, I've recently been in the main store of the same chain, and the arangement isn't the best... Moreover, most salesmen there tend are complete jackasses, and their main job seems to be brainf***ing the customers.
    So I guess it depends on the people at a given location.

4. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    remember, its not called Bass Center.

thats what i have to tell myself as i walk through their doors. haha

5. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

When will guitars and basses be treated equally?:rollno:

6. CrazyArcher

CrazyArcher

Aug 5, 2004
    Israel
    Well, in the 1st place I've mentioed they actually are treated equally...

7. need4mospd

need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    Houston
    The Guitar Center by me has 2 huge walls filled with a nice arrangement of basses. Now, if only there weren't so many wankers in there screwing them all up.

8. here in s.c. the g.c. has a back and side wall slap full of basses. just as many bass heads and amps. good bunch of people at g.c. in s.c.

9. +1

10. When equal amounts of people buy guitars and basses. Compared to guitars, basses are a niche market.

11. jokerk874

jokerk874

Feb 27, 2006
    the Atlanta GC has a "Rumble Room" with all the good basses, effects, and amps. many other basses and amps and whatever else can be found all around the store

12. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    BINGO!

There was a bass there that they just got in.
    I wanted it, but I made sure to get my cash together and pick it up ASAP because I didn't want those "wankers" messing it up on me... hehe

13. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    My GC has (my guess) probably 50 or so basses on teh walls - a decent sized cutout room with basses.

Ain't been there in a while though...the guys are alrite.

14. jokerk874

jokerk874

Feb 27, 2006
    Wow.. I definately never knew GC even existed other than here in Atlanta.

15. ...Can't we all just...get a long(er scale neck)???...

16. There are only 3 music stores in my province, two are the same store and carry the same gear, and less than a dozen basses and amps in each. So that's about 24 basses and amps to choose from from beginner and beyond within a normal days drive. Mostly just Fender, Peavey, Yamaha, and the odd Gibson or Spector.

17. I was in the Sacramento GC today, & they have a pretty good selection of basses, amps & bass-related gobbledy-gook. Lotsa low end, a bit of middle-of-the-road & even a couple of fairly high-dollar(used Alembic & Pedulla). The sales guy was very helpful, & a knowledgeable bass player. GC in Concord has also treated me well(both of these stores have totally stood behind their return policy for me, on a number of occasions). I have no problem w/GC; they rarely have what I'm after, but I couldn't keep them in business on my allowance.:rolleyes:

18. steve21

steve21 Banned

You guys really make me appreciate my GC... nice little rumble room full of great amps/basses, and a wall outside FULL of fenders and other stuff.

19. There are over 130 of us nationwide. And we're moving into Canada and Europe here pretty soon. I've put my name in to be on an opening crew for GC Berlin.:D

As for the basses, well, from what I understand we sell about 10 guitars for every bass. So would it make sense to carry equal amounts? No. And stores are tailored (supposedly) to the surrounding music environment. So if there aren't a lot of bass players there, you won't have lots of bass gear.

Rock on
    Eri

20. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    I have a dream that one day our instrument will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold this groove to be self-evident, that all women will shake their booty to it.

I have a dream that one day on the walls of Guitar Center, the Les Pauls and the Precisions will be able to stay by one another and come together as one solid groove

I have a dream that one day even the state of Mississippi, a state sweltering with the heat of banjos, sweltering with the heat of bluegrass music, will be transformed into an oasis of electric basses alongside their washtub cousins.

I have a dream that my four large strings will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by people who do not understand the instrument, but by those moved by a groove!

(no disrespect to Dr. King meant)