1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

No shielding, and yet dead silent?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Coke Kane, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Coke Kane

Coke Kane Supporting Member

May 16, 2010
    La Puente, CA
    On my older Fender Aerodyne Classic Precision Bass, it hums like heck unless my hands are touching the strings, etc.

I have a new Fender Special Edition Deluxe PJ Bass that has no conduction paint or copper shield in the cavity or the pickguard. But yet, this bass is silent whether or not I touch the strings.

Did Fender figure out a way to shield the bass for RF or am I missing something?

2. Shielding doesn't necessarily do anything, depending on the bass. Keep in mind that many different kinds of issues cause noise, and shielding is not always the solution to a given problem.

Coke Kane likes this.
  3. Geri O

Geri O

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Wouldn't a hum when NOT touching the strings mean that there is no bridge ground? Maybe the ground wire to the bridge has failed or become disconnected? Or was there ever one in the first place?

4. Coke Kane

Coke Kane Supporting Member

May 16, 2010
    La Puente, CA
    I checked, and the ground wire is touching the bridge.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 17, 2021