1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

No Side Dots on Hofner 500/1 Vintage '63 Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by soccertaxdude, Mar 9, 2010.

1. soccertaxdude

soccertaxdude

Nov 13, 2007
    I just bought a used Hofner 500/1 Vintage '63 bass. It plays great, but I just noticed that it does not have the side dots that I am used to on the fingerboard. I don't want to drill any holes in it. Should I just use a black marker to mark the frets? Any suggestions? Thanks.

2. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    The better classical guitar shops sell a high quality stick on side dots that will work fine.

G

3. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Inactive

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    If it's an actual 63', do not do any permanent mods to it. :eek:

4. JoeBelc

JoeBelc

Apr 6, 2008
    Pekin, Illinois
    I used white fingernail polish and a toothpick to put the side dots on mine. They will rub off in time, but I can always just re-apply them. I cut the toothpick in half then lightly 'dotted' the side of the fretboard.

5. Why not learn to ride "Bareback"?. Double bass players do it and they don't even have frets to work with?. Seriously, the adhesive "dots" you can get from classical type music stores will do you for a while, but with only a little practise you should be able to manage without them.

If you screw up, you can always fall back on the classic line:

"Okay, who rubbed out the chalk marks?".

6. This is a side photo of the neck of my 500/1v63. I had my luthier put the position markers on it.

neckpositionmarkers.jpg

TD

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 27, 2020