no slouch gig

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Peter Squire, Mar 6, 2005.

1. I remember reading an interview with Stu Hamm many years ago where he pointed out that getting the bass slot on the Madonna tour was "no slouch gig", meaning you would have to be a pretty hot player to get the show.

Just wondering what other artists you guys feel would warrant the "no-slouch-gig" tag. I reckon J-Lo, Beyonce, Elton.

Its all about this: don't really get into their music, but what a gig!!!!

Your ideas??
  2. paz

paz Banned

Jun 26, 2001
    Seaton, Devon, England
    id rather die than play for anyone of those people
  3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Well, I'd take the money now, and die later. Elton John puts on the best shows I've ever seen (and I've seen several of his and tons of others), and I'd be mighty proud to stand on the stage with him.
  4. Wow, that's twice in one day that I agree with Munji.

Of course, I generally agree with Munji...
  5. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    :rolleyes: sure you would.

no offense, but that is one of the most arrogent, narrow minded things I've ever read in all my years here at TB.

I might not be a huge fan or a fan at all of all of those acts listed above, but I'd play with them all of them in a flash.
  6. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Any "professional" gig is a no-slouch gig.

I wouldn't play "anywhere" for money, and be a slouch.

People who do that, aren't professionals, they're slouches.

Once I had the privilege of subbing in at one of Barbra Streisand's gigs here in town. That was definitely a "no slouch" gig. Not that it was all that difficult, and not that I really like her music all that much, but she's had people like Nathan East up there with her on a regular basis, and in that kind of company, you want to be on your best bass-playing behavior.

TV is also a no-slouch gig. Stuff like SNL, and Jay Leno. Those guys are tops, they're some of the best in the business.

Movie soundtracks are also no-slouch (studio) gigs.

Anytime I'm gettin' paid, I'm on top of my game. Doesn't even matter "how much" I'm gettin' paid. Anytime someone's paying me for my talents, I'm going to do the best job I possibly can. :)
  7. agreed nonsqtr

everytime we play, we approach with total professionalism.

original post was just asking about some of those artists that you perhaps don't enjoy their music, but would be a magic gig to get.

i reckon the J-Lo at the Superbowl gig a few years back would have been crazy!! Or even Janet Jackson's one last year. Just think that as a professional bass player, there are some gigs that you would have to be a truly top cat to get.

Will Lee's slot on Letterman would be insane to sub for.
  8. the Streisand gig would have been awesome!!! tell on...
  9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You must be old. And a non-democrat.
  10. paz

paz Banned

Jun 26, 2001
    Seaton, Devon, England
    sorry cassanova, i kinda regretted writing that as soon as i pressed eneter, but hey iv had a bad week
    however glad i provoked such a reaction from you

nah i wouldnt rather die than play with them but perhaps a near fatal accident or sumthin :D

its not to do with sellin out or anythin its more to do with the fact i genuinly (spelling?) hate those artists, and wouldn't do it for any amount of money.
    and before someone mentions what about a million bucks id take the money spend it on booze and not even make it to the gig.

but thats my opinion, i respect anyone who would want to play for them, because youd have to be a f'n great player
  11. Rockgurl

Dec 17, 2004
    CT, USA
    It's easy to say you wouldn't want to play with people of that caliber, but I guarantee if the money and contract was waived at them and the opportunity to play a huge stadium, you'd jump at the chance. No one in their right mind would turn down the offer to play with the likes of Elton John.
  12. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Well, I kinda interpreted Stu's quote to mean, that he was expected to be "amazing". Some gigs are like that, you can get way out into left field, maybe even do a bass solo or somethin'. :D

But most gigs like that "aren't", in other words, when you're backing someone up, you're backing them up, and it's not like you're the hot name on the ticket.

Some performers, like to show the audience that their band is "good", and highlight the talents of the performers.

Others, don't. It's probably not an ego thing, most of the time (although sometimes it is), but mainly it's just the "gestalt" of the show.

In Elton's music for instance, there's not many opportunities for a bass player to really strut his/her stuff. Most of it is "songs", it's not like Richie Blackmore's going to be taking a twenty minute guitar solo in the middle of one of 'em. :)
  13. Strutting your bass stuff isn't really gonna happen in this kinda show, but i seen Madonna's band and they were smokin!

I would love a gig like that. I don't feel the need to strut my thing everytime and often love the in pocket stuff.

Cher would be a good gig too?
  14. paz

paz Banned

Jun 26, 2001
    Seaton, Devon, England
    honestly i really wouldnt, my head would probably explode after the first bar. think about something you really hate would you do it for x amount of money?
    i may be the only person on this board that thinks so but then again im no where near qualified for this gig anyway, but then again after hearing some of these people play its not the most technicaly advanced playing ive ever heard
  15. Eric Clapton

Now that's a top gig!
  16. willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    being a chicago guy i had a chance to hang out with darall "munch" jones when he was living here for a short time in the early '90's.he had just got though playing with maddona and was just chilling out for awhile.when i asked him how it was playing with maddona he told me it was a "next level exsperience" this is after he had already played with miles davis,sting ect! of course the next gig he got was the rolling stones but he said that doing gigs on that level was much more than it look's like.after munch, maddona had victor baily and omar hakim as a team for several years and those dudes are not slouchs either.
  17. about 2 years ago i would of said "heck no, i'm not playing for anything but a punk band." but now i've coem to realise that theres so much better music out there then punk and rock. i started learning as much as i can and i would play with anyone right now, from barney to cher. i started respondiong to all the bass player wanted cassifieds i could find, because i realized a gig is a gig and all i want to do is play bass. so style/artist doesn;t matter to me anymore, anyone know if barney is looking for a bassist :smug:

:bassist: Kyle
  18. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Thats the way I feel too. I prefer to strut my stuff while laying down a nice groove in the deepest darkest depths of the pocket.
  19. Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Hmmmmm, lets see I can work a 12 hour day packing shelves in tescos/walmart or do a gig with madonna/britney/christina..etc and earn around a thousand dollars a gig (or some ridiculous figure like that)...whooaa hard choice. :p

I remember seeing a drum clinic by the guy who backs Britney and he was AMAZING (bassically this guy would have simon phillips running to the woodshed) and after playing these incredible drum solos he turned to the audience and said "and this is what I get paid to do" and proceeded to play a very basic 4/4 beat (which even I could play..and I cant play drums).

reality check