1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

No sound from a Squier JB!!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Jippy, Nov 1, 2010.

1. Jippy

Jippy Guest

Jun 29, 2010
    Hello!
    My Squier Jazz Fretless bass has been a beautiful instrument, I love it dearly..

But just today, I turned on my amp and I get no sound from it.. It was working about and hour earlier just fine! But now nothing!! I've tested it in a few other output devices, I'm fairly sure it's the bass, not the amp.

I SHOULD MENTION:
    The jack has been loose since I got it, but I've been very very careful with it, but I'm sure that has something to do with it.
    (I've had no other problems with it until now, no crackling, buzzing, etc.) But now, completely dead!
    I'm a complete noob to the wirings and setup of a bass, but I'd really like some suggestions. :crying:
    Thanks a lot!

EDIT: fail on my part, this is going to have to go into the pickups/electronics forum, sorry!

2. I'd bet it's likely that a wire has come loose from the jack, especially if the jack has been loose from day one, it would be inevitable that a wire would work loose eventually. You should have tightened it up the first time you discovered it was loose. Anyway ...
    If a broken wire is all it is, it's an easy enough fix, just solder the broken wire back on. If you don't feel you can do it, get a guitar tech (or soemone you know who knows how) to do it, it's a cheap eniough fix.

3. Jippy

Jippy Guest

Jun 29, 2010
    Okay, that's what I was thinking, but I'd like to be able to get in there to see. I think I have enough experience to know one way or the other. How would I go about taking the control plate off without damaging anything? Is it just a simple procedure? I looked for diagrams and help through google but found very little.

4. Jippy

Jippy Guest

Jun 29, 2010
    Never mind, curiosity got me, opened her up. Never done that before. It's just a solder point that came loose. I just have no solder experience! Haha, but my dad does. Not sure which point it solders to though! It's a red wire which runs through each pot and then to the input (is that the word? lol) fail.

Edit: Anyway, I got it. Bad idea to open up a thread about this (and in the wrong section too!), I'm sure it's already out there but I was just kinda freaking out. Luckily I've got some very electrically-savvy family. Peace!!