1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

No sound from bass??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tubatodd, Feb 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. tubatodd

tubatodd

Oct 31, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    I had rehearsal last night with my big band and as usual I only brought one bass with me, an ESP Vintage 214 passive PJ bass. I got everything setup and plugged my bass into my tuner. The tuner didn't respond. Huh. I checked the knobs and output jack. No dice. I plugged into my amp. No sound. I unplugged from the bass and touched the tip of the cord and it made the usual noises. I swapped out cables, but still no sound.

I borrowed a screw driver from the drummer and looked at the output jack. Everything looked soldered correctly and firmly.

So before I take the pickguard off and start digging....what should I expect? My best guess is there is another wire internally that came free. HOW it came free........I have no clue.

So what did I do for rehearsal? Well I had my tuba with me for brass ensemble rehearsal afterwards. I played all my bass parts on tuba. In honor of Maurice White, we played "September" and yes...I played the bass part on tuba. Funk tuba is not usually my specialty, but it sounded decent.

2. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Do other basses work on the amp? Have you tried other amps?

3. tubatodd

tubatodd

Oct 31, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    Oh yeah. It's the bass.

4. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    Disconnected wire

5. tubatodd

tubatodd

Oct 31, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    Whatever came loose caused both pickups to go out.

6. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    :roflmao:

quickfix and twinjet like this.
  7. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    At a minimum you'll need a soldering iron and solder. Optionally you can also make use of a digital multimeter. Having a wiring diagram for your bass will be helpful.

It's a remote possibility you may need wire and/or a new pot or output jack, but I doubt it.

Off-Beat likes this.
  8. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Thank goodness for the tuba!
    I would guess it's the output jack, you checked the wires, but did you check the contact clip? Sometimes it's bent, snapped off or something that prevents proper contact from being made and hence, no sound.
    Check the wiring, as mentioned above, probably good to have a wiring diagram handy.

9. Off-Beat

Off-Beat

Dec 8, 2014
    Vienna, AUT
    Adding to this great advice: Check the pots and pups for resistence, check the rest for continuity and keep in mind that caps kill continuity for DC.

btw if you get a multimeter get someone to assists you. Strum a string and test for voltage at the output check inside the cavity first. Multimeter has to be able to be downscaled low enough. Just found the info that a Jbazz produces 1,2Vpp which is 0,84V rms. So the multimeter should have down to atleast 20v range and be able to show 1/10 of volts.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  10. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I've seen these guys a couple times, in the late '90s and in late 2006. :bassist:

11. DigitalMan

Nov 30, 2011
    That's all good stuff.

In its simplest application you can also use a multimeter just to test for a solid connection between suspect parts. Usually the dial will have a setting with a bell or some symbol indicating sound. Touch the leads together and you hear a tone. Touch the leads to two different parts on either side of a suspect solder joint and the tone will tell you if there is a connection. The display will show resistance between the leads which should approach zero if the leads are firmly touching the contact points.

12. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    Did you try turning it off and on again?

Lownote38, tubatodd and elgecko like this.
  13. DigitalMan

Nov 30, 2011
    Did I miss something? Is the bass running Windows?

14. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    Have you tried yelling at it?

squirefan likes this.
  15. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    Did the jack or vol pot turn and short the signal to ground?

LoveThatBass likes this.
  16. tubatodd

tubatodd

Oct 31, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    I'm bringing the bass to work with me tomorrow. One of my coworkers can sort it out. I'll let you know what it was.

17. tubatodd

tubatodd

Oct 31, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    UPDATE:
    After taking the bass out of the gigbag at work, it was still dead. We removed the pickguard and turned it over and it magically started working. So there was a funky solder joint. None of them looked particularly suspicious. So Justin reheated all of the solder joints and made sure they were all secure. So far so good.

gjohnson441496, /\/\3phist0 and GKon like this.
  18. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    WWII Gremlin 1. Well, there's your answer - you had Gremlins. When you turned the bass over with the pickguard off - this little guy fell out. You should be fine, as long as he doesn't try to get in there again..:)

19. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

Three times?

20. mojomike001

mojomike001

Mar 28, 2013
    South Florida
    One thing you can count on in this situation is that it is very likely to happen again until you finally fix it.

SpazzTheBassist likes this.