1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

No sound from my bass!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by hpkhilma, Aug 8, 2007.

1. hpkhilma

hpkhilma

Aug 8, 2007
    West Jordan UT
    Hi,

Last night I was playing on my bass (a Fender Jazz bass, on a Berhinger amp) and things were all good. My bass by the way is the one in the $450 range...I think its made in Mexico. Anyway after a short break I came back to my basement, turned on the amp and was not able to get any sound from the bass. The amp turns on but it just seems that the signal is not getting from my guitar to the amp. Before I take it in to a pro I thought I would see if there is maybe a simple fix for this or if this is a common problem on guitars like mine. I treat the guitar very well and it is never knocked around or anything like that. And by the way... yes! I had the pickup volumes and the amp volume turned up to what should be a very audible level.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Kevin

2. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Common causes could be:

Instrument cable went bad (try a different one).

The Amp has a problem (try another amp at a buddy's or music store).

Output jack on the bass went bad (trying a different amp & cable will help identify this problem).

If the bass has active electronics (requires a battery, which I don't think is the case with your particular bass) - try replacing the battery.

If still no sound after trying these things, you may want to seek the help of a local guitar repairman.

3. hpkhilma

hpkhilma

Aug 8, 2007
    West Jordan UT
    Thanks for the help. Luckily it turned out to be the cord and Guitar Center cheerfully gave me a new one!

4. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Gotta love the inexpensive fix! :cool: