Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

No sound from my Peavey Bam 2x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sincity, Apr 8, 2004.

1. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    Hey Bam users,

I just picked up a 2003 model, and when I plugged in directly (bass to amp), I get nothing. :crying:

Am I doing something wrong?

I have played with the volume and gain, tried switching cabinets, moved the input trim to various levels, and still I get nothing. My cable is fine as well and I don't use an active bass.

The manual does not give any trouble shooting ideas.

Does the footswitch have to be attached for the combo to work?

Thanks for your input.

2. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    Ok, here is what I have found so far.

With the amp turned off, I took a 9v battery and touched it to a speaker cable plugged into the speaker extension jack on the rear panel.

Only one of the speakers pushed out. The other did nothing. I opened up the cabinet to see if the connections had come off. Both speakers and the tweeter are connected.

The speaker cone of the one speaker that moved with the 9v battery test moves easily when I depress it a little bit. The other speaker cone is as hard as a rock. No movement at all.

Has anyone experienced this before? Does this mean that this speaker is fried?

I know that the power amp is getting a signal. The signal clip light gets brighter as I hit a string, and I can hear the bass and all the effects through the headphone jack.

3. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Sorry to say, it sounds like you amp has a fried speaker (voice coil). You did get this amp used didn't you? I would take it back new or used and get my money back!

4. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    Hi Pyrohr,

You are right. I called Peavey earlier, and that is what they said. They also said that since I was not getting any sound from the other speaker, that may be damaged as well. Even though the cone has movement.

Cost is $113.00 a piece. :eek:

5. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I bought a BAM 210 brand new and had to return it for a replacement.

The wiring inside the BAM is not the greatest. I found that the power supply inside connected with a very cheap wiring harness that is flimsy and, I would think, will eventually wear.

I loved the sound(s) of the BAM 210. I only traded it for a guitar when I was between bands. Nice amp.

I would take it back and have it checked out thoroughly.

6. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    The Bam combo looked awesome on paper and sounded great in the store. What got me about that amp was the original price was almost 1300 bucks, and less than 6 months later I'd seen it sold at blowout for 700.00 bucks. The combo had too many bells and whistles for me and at 4ohms was a turnoff. You never see anybody talking about those amps at talkbass, I wonder why?

7. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    Well actually, I have read many positive posts about the Bam at Talkbass. Negative posts about the combo, were few and far between.

The seller has been communicating well, and I believe this will get resolved in the right way. I paid below $700.00 for the combo, albeit a dead one, but have faith that it will be up and running again and sounding great.

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I have talked about my BAM quite a bit. It is the loudest 2x10 combo on the market, and handles the low B better than any other 2x10 combo as well.

The bells and whistles are nice, if you need them. I don't use the effects a lot, but they are good quality, and don't rob you of your low end, unlike a lot of pedals and multi effects units.

The modeling is what I really like. I can get convincing SVT, Acoustic 360, Super Redhead and GK/Hartke 4x10 sounds with the click of a footswitch. The GK/Hartke model works extremely well with fretless.

sincity, sorry to hear about your DOA BAM. Hopefully the seller will make good.

You did get a good price. I wish I knew where I could get a blowout for $700 that Pyrohr was talking about. Around here, the cheapest I have seen a new one was $1099, and the cheapest I have seen a used one was $999.

9. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound

Hey Em,
    Sam Ash and Manny's were getting rid of them months back for that price. I had bought my GK 1001RB combo just months before that sale went on, I owned a GK400RBIII 1x15 combo w/1x15RBH GK bottom before I moved up and got the 1001RB 2x10 combo. My Guitar rep at ash bought one from his store and loves his. I thought they sounded excellent. The portability was also a question in my mind (Im gettin too old for all this lifting) Plus I also have a Boss GT6B if I need bells and whistles that I seldomly use.

10. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    Thanks Embellisher,

The seller said he will replace the speaker. But he brought this up as an alternate.

He asked me if I would consider replacing the Peavey speakers with a different manufacturer's speaker?

I think the price per speaker from Peavey was a little bit of a shock, and he says he can get good quality speakers at 2/3 the cost.

So, here are a few questions:

Do you think this is a good idea?

Do you think a different manufacturer's speaker would rob or enhance the Bam's tone?

Besides matching the ohms and wattage per speaker, what else should be considered when replacing the speakers?

Lastly, what do you T'Bers think would be a good replacement speaker for the Bam?

I am on the fence about this, and usually don't mess with the original equipment. I feel the combo sounds good for a reason, and that the speakers play a big role in the tone.

Sorry for being long winded here.

11. This is not a good idea. Way too many variables in effect on something like that. I would tell the seller to make good on replacement speakers from Peavey, the equivalent in cash as a partial refund, or a complete refund and ship the amp back. Don't attempt to replace the speakers with non-OEM speakers. You'll most likely be sorry if you do.

Just my $0.02

12. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    I am in your court here. Like you said, too many variables. I took the amp into the music store, and had it checked out. The power section works great. We attached a 4 ohm cabinet to the speaker extension jack on the back. Sounds great.

As suspected, the frozen speaker is shot.

The second speaker speaker sounds like it is on the way out as well. You can hear the bass, but it is distorting heavily.

What I don't get is if the power section works fine, and one of the speakers works, why don't I get any sound from the one speaker that works?

Anyway, Peavey speakers are going to go back into the cabinet.

13. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Lots of manufactures use speakers that are specifically tuned to that cab, make sure you use direct replacements!

14. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    I definitely will. I got the serial number from Peavey, and it matches the serial number on the speakers in the Bam.

15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I agree. Make sure that you use drivers designed for the cabinet. There are great aftermarket drivers out there, but that box was tuned for the drivers that come stock with the amp. It won't sound the same with something else.

Man, I don't understand how the speakers got blown on that thing. I played a gig with mine tonight, and had my volume set at 11:00, with no PA support. I play in a very loud rock band, and had no problems being heard. My guitarist uses a 150 watt Line 6 combo with 2 12s.

Somebody played that thing insanely loud with a low B or C, and turned off the DDT protection circuit. That's the only way they could have destroyed the drivers.

16. I thought DDT just reduced the signal distortion through the poweramp section, rather than actually preventing the speakers from clipping?