No sound from newish bass when eq is flat?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Qalamar, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Qalamar

Qalamar

Sep 26, 2017
    Hey guys I recently got back into playing and picked up an active bass. I noticed today (not sure if this was the case before) that when I set the double stacked bass/treble nob flat (middle notch, no?) then I suddenly get no sound whatsoever from my amp. If I move either nob out of the notch even slightly, boosting or cutting, everything is fine and sound comes out normally.

Is there an issue with the bass? Is this normal? Should I try something else? Thanks. Sorry if this is the wrong forum. I wasn't sure where to post.

2. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Bring Back Edit/Delete Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    There is indeed an issue.

3. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Which bass?

4. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    That doesn't sound normal- is this a new bass? If so, easiest thing would be to return it and get another one or have the store fix the issue. If it's used, check out the pot and clean it with some electric contact cleaner Deoxit and see if that helps. Sometimes dirt gets in there and causes problems. If all else fails, could be the pot itself is faulty and replacing the pot will fix the issue. Pretty inexpensive off the net even for the stacked ones.

gebass6 likes this.
  5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 22, 2022