1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

No sound from tweeter?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by simpy1, Apr 15, 2006.

1. simpy1

simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    Hi guys. Recently my SWR Goliath Jr. III just stopped making noise from the tweeter. My beloved treble is gone!

I opened her up to check things out....there's a fuse in there, that wasn't blown. And the tweeter wasn't farting or rattling, so I don't think it's blown. And all the connections look fine. What could it be?

The attenuator on the back does nothing. I need my treble back!

2. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    Sometimes they just go. Check it by touching the two contacts with a 9volt battery.

If there's no sound, it's gone.

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    If you do that it will be gone for sure, 9 volts can toast a tweeter in a millisecond. Besides which, a 9 volt battery is a DC signal, not AC, so you wouldn't hear anything anyway. You might see a puff of smoke.

I'd try bypassing the attenuator, it could have burned out.

4. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    Ooops, I guess he'd know!:(

I've never had a problem checking horn drivers that way, but would have never done it on a stereo tweeter.

Anyway, probably safer to follow the speakerman on this one!

5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    You can test a woofer that way as 9 volts is no problem for a woofer, and you can see the cone move. With a tweeter 9 volts could fry the coil, and you can't see the cone move in any event. The safe way to test tweeters is with a 3 volt DMM. Even a meter can fry a coil if it's powered by 9 volts and uses that entire voltage to test resistance. A tweeter rated at 100 watts with a 12dB crossover at 5kHz is going to receive only the equivalent of 5 watts or so actual program material, while a 9 volt battery is the equivalent of a ten watt signal into 8 ohms.

6. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    If you have a stereo at home, just turn it very low and hook the tweeter to one of the channels. If it's blown, sometimes you can buy just the element (around $10 to $15 for the fostex in my peavey cab) instead of replacing the whole tweeter. They usually come apart with just a screwdriver.

7. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    You may have removed the protective fuse/bulb and ohmed it out but if not, you should. A visual inspection sometimes can be deceiving. I've ohmed out several fuses that were blown but actually looked fine.