No sound...No rock

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jp1976, Mar 10, 2005.

1. jp1976

Mar 10, 2005
    I have an Ampeg 215 cabinet that I run a 350 watt Peavy head through. About a week ago I played a show and everything ran fine. The cabinet sat in my car for about three days in very cold weather. I brought it inside, let it warm up for a while before plugging in, but when I turned on my amp I got no sound at all...not even a hum. The amp worked fine in another cabinet. All of the wiring looks fine and the instrument cable is making good contact with the jack. The speakers are all in good shape as well. What gives? it possible that the wires shorted out from the moisture? Help!

2. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
  3. Try a different speaker cable. You said that the cable is making good contact with the jack, I'm assuming you took the back off the cab to see this. If that doesn't work, do the little 9v battery check to see if the speakers move.
  4. jp1976

Mar 10, 2005
    All of my cables and my head worked fine in another cabinet...what's the 9volt test? Someone also suggested that the voice coils may have gone. Would there be no sound at all (not even a hum) if this were to happen? And to answer the other users question as to how cold it was...I would say between 0 and 35 on average. Thanks for the replies
  5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Unless you allowed the cab to warm up for at least 24 hours there's a good chance you blew the voice coils, in which case there would be no sound whatsoever. The same insulation inside the cabs that dampens internal reflections also serves to insulate the box, meaning it would take a long exposure to cold to freeze the drivers, and an equally long time to thaw them out.