1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

No sweep in tone control on my G&L LB-100

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by markob, Mar 30, 2013.

1. markob

markob

Mar 2, 2010
    North Cali
    and what "sweep there is occurs at about the mid-point and then returns to "wide open" when completely rolled off. Pot, cap or pup? Assuming it's a pot, I'll check for cold solder points I guess. Any pointers out there or other suggestions? I'm not opposed to replacing the original Gotoh P style pup with a boutique of some sort (suggestions?) Ive "heard" that these Gotohs are great but so far I haven't "heard" their full potential. Thanks.

2. Try the opposite taper pot.

3. mystic38

mystic38

Dec 4, 2012
    Mystic CT
    the wiper may be falling off the track of the pot for some reason..its an easy replacement.. no idea what the original cap is but if you want more tone deadening, try a .047uF
    I dont understand the comment "original gotoh P style pup".??. the LB-100 have an alnico V G&L pup and replacing it seems sacriligious to me...after all, then its simply another P, and not THE Leo P :)

4. markob

markob

Mar 2, 2010
    North Cali
    Thanks for the comments guys. I plugged in today (straight into amp) and had no issues with the tone sweep. Not a wide sweep but very usable. I noticed the "problem" last night at rehearsal. I was plugged into my sansamp DI to the board and out to the mains and monitors. When I rolled off the tone a bit there was little if any change that I could hear. Went from wide open to rolled off with no audible difference to my ears...then. Tired ears? Maybe. Something weird with the signal? Possibly. Anyhoo an embarrassing full disclosure fellas.

FWIW. Leo's LB-100 pup's (in '94) were alnico V made by Gotoh in Japan and you're right, sacriligious to replace if not necessary. If shot I would have no problem replacing with a quality alnico.