Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

NO! This is NOT Domino's...and other phone maladies.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mon Rominee, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Ok, so it's no surprise to anyone who knows me that I hate the telephone. I'm of the short-and-sweet variety when it comes to phone conversations.

It's almost always the Mother-in-law. Call me Screen-call Jones.

BUT, come Fridays and Saturdays, a new family-size slice of hell brings my blood to a boil. See, my phone # is one easily misdialed digit away from Domino's Pizza.

Imagine the joy when I hear some drunk doof blurt out "Large Cheesburger Pizza" the second I say hello.

Now repeat 10-20-ish times a weekend (edited to make Figjam happy. ;) ). Hardly exaggerating.

I know, I could simply request a new #, but that's not the point of the thread, so stow it....

My guitar player is one digit off from a CVS pharmacy.
    Me, Dominoes..
    I haven't figured out what is real close to my drummer's #.

SO...for what business is your phone # most misdialed? Do you screw with them? I sure do. Many drunks out there without pizzas, I can tell you that much. v:O)~

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    The problem I have is my cell phone number. I have had like 30 people call looking for their friend. Well, the problem with that is, did that many people used to have the same number, or are they just misdialing. I don't really know.

Speaking of which, I work at Domino's, so you know what I have to go through when drunk people want pizza.

3. Oy Veh...well, at least I imagine your location makes good pizza...mine, not so much. :D

4. When I was growing up, my phone# was 1 digit off from Black and Decker repair center.

Funny thing was, I eventually worked there. At one point, some guy called my house. "Black and Decker?" "NO, but I work there. What do you need." "?????" "No, really, I do work there"

Gave the guy the part# to ask for, ask for Randy, problem solved...

Randy

5. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    My cell phone is, or was, anyway, constantly ringing with people calling 96.3 FM, a local pop radio station. They are always calling and telling me the names of all the members of the Backstreet boys, etc, and asking if they won the contest. I eventually just started getting really excited, telling them they were on the air, and that they one. "hang on the line," I'd say, "and we'll get your information." Click. It was always worth a laugh.

6. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    my number is one digit off from the local Ticketmaster outlet....

:D i do have fun indeed!

;)

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    My phone number is one digit off from the Musicians Friend returns department. I have a garage full of amps, basses, cabinets.

Naw, just kidding. :D

-Mike

8. Mine is one digit away from the local Classic Rock station Z106.7. I get the requests, Hey man, play some _______ and the occasional drunken, mulleted, whitetrash screaming for: " Hey man ! Play some Skynyrd!!!!!!! "

The most interesting one Ive gotten so far though, was this lady calling, I pick up the phone and I get this crazy lady ranting about how the DJs use to much vulgarity and profanity for the airwaves and children are listening and blah blah etc. It was pretty funny when I told her she had the wrong number. :D

9. My phone number is one away from two different places. My prefix is 486, however, if you dial the prefix 487 with my number you get the Military Base Guest Housing, and if you dial 481, again with my number, you will reach a Massage/Chiropractic Therapy Center. I get a lot of people either asking if I have rooms available on such and such a date, or if they can come in and get a massage.

10. And we all know how easy it is to misdial a prefix and never think twice. That sucks....doubly!

One time I told a caller they won for being like a millionth order Domino's customer or some nonsense and said not only was his order free, but he got one of every appetiser to go with it, free.

I wonder if he ever called them back all beligerent... :D

11. My parents' phone number used to be one digit out from a cinema... Them: "What time is Batman showing?" Me: "I've no idea..."

12. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    :D

man, that'd be fun. "who wants a body massage?" "...uhh...what did he just say to us?"

anyway, i get wrong numbers all the time. this morning, in fact, i got one. it seems to be more frequent than usual. but...nothing exciting.

13. Pause

Pause

Jun 4, 2003
    Miami, FL
    Ha. My phone number is one number from a Polo Ralph Lauren store in Miami Beach.

The White Pages misprinted it and listed our house number instead of theirs.

Calls nearly everyday for a year...

14. My friend had a similar problem with pizza the hut.....

People would call in their order and we would actually take it and their phone # .

We would wait about 10-15 min and call back

" mr Jones, we have a slight problem with your order. We ran out of tomato sauce and we were wondering if we could, substitute mayonaise instead."

We kept some people going for a few min. before they figured out we wern't Pizza the Hut.

Ahh... collage days..... boy if some collage kid did that to me know I'd want to kick his a$$ :D

15. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I got get any at home, but at work (I'm a 411 operator) I still can't figure out how people dial us instead of 911 :meh:

I can sympathize with Mon about people calling and thinking they're talking to Dominos. I don't know how, but people think they're getting connected automatically even if they haven't ASKED for anything, and Dominos is a favorite. I had a co-worker a few years ago who used to work there and the last time he got someone who thought they were Dominos, he didn't let them think otherwise and he took their order.

30 minutes or less indeed :p

16. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    Haha me too. About once a week I get phone calls asking ?Esta Maria?

17. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Say "Maria es muerta, tiene un buen día" (Maria is dead, have a good day) and hang up :)

18. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Before the company moved 10 years ago, the number was
    one digit off from KFC.

We had some fun with that one, I tell ya!

Want fries with that?
    Shure!
    We don't have fries, bone head!

You'll have to bring your own bucket, we ran out ...

Have you heard about our bring your own chicken special?

I did relent when some young nubile big-haired young lady
    called up and wanted the evening shift off, I was going to
    acquiesce with some unprintable conditions, but finally
    laughed, and told her "ya gert duh wrong numbah".
    (Youse have to speak like dat if you want duh Natives
    around heah too unnerstand youse.)

19. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I've actually gotten customer service reps from ATT calling the break room trying to get us to switch our long distance.

I know this wasn't technically a misdial, although it should've been, but when I graduated high school I actually had an army recruiter call me

"So do you have plans on joining the military after high school?"

"No. Never been interested"

"Do you like sports?"

"No"

"Did you take gym in high school"

"No"

"Why not?"

"Because I have Cerebral Palsy"

"......oh...well, uh, have a good day sir"

:D

20. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    In Rhode Island? Wow, I guess they're everywhere then :)