1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

No thumb resting for the plucking hand?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by machine gewehr, Apr 24, 2006.

1. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    I am so confused.I use floating thumb for 1.5 years now and I want to have my thumb resting on the pick up all the time.I can't silence the strings with my ring finger and the pinky like I can with the floating thumb but the angle of resting only on the pup. makes it sound better and strings does not hit the frets as much as it does on the f.thumb.About that angle,I had a serious wrist injury and that angle started to cause pain to me. :crying:

But somebody just suggested me to not to rest my thumb neither on the pup nor on the strings,he said just let it go.Well I tried it and looks comfy.Are there any benefits of these techniques over one other or should I go my way?

(Oh please don't say read other threads 'cause I did and couldn't decide,I had to ask,thanks.)

2. floopy

floopy

Mar 18, 2006
    If it hurts you to play with a "floating thumb" that's the one to avoid the most.

Anchoring on the pickup will probably let you apply less effort for the same sound, as you are striking the strings at a better angle.

I find anchoring on the pickup makes the movement across strings more complicated and slows me down, so I choose not to do it. You may find different.

If your thumb is not touching the strings at all, you have to mute the strings some other way. Some people mute with their left hand (I don't, because I have small hands and it's uncomfortable for me).

Choose the one that lets you play without pain and feels the most comfortable for you :)

3. charic

charic

Apr 17, 2006
    Cambridge
    I think im weird....

If im finger picking i mix floating and anchored techniques in my basslines, im usually floating when playin the E string as i find it more comfortable, if im playing any other string im generally anchored on the E string... IS THAT ODD? :confused:

4. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I've seen a few players play with their thumbs not achored to anything. It seems to work for non-aggressive music.