1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

No time for a band... How do you stay inspired?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by CrispyDelicious, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Le sigh.

I just found out that for the next 12 months, I simply won't have time to commit to a band. What's worse, I just got in with a killer new trip-hop band, and had to tell them that I was backing out. How do you cope when you KNOW that for an extended period, you just won't be able to rock out with others? How do you stay inspired? For me, playing bass is fun at home, but it's REALLY about making music with others in a live setting. I'll barely have enough time to practice at home, let alone rehearse with a band.

Fudgesicles.

2. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    I had to go through an extended several year period without being able to commit to a steady band due to work issues. What I did to keep my chops up as well as feeding the urge to get on stage and play with other musician was two things.

I attended jam sessions at some nightclubs at my convenience and would get to perform with a variety of musicians a wide amount of songs. Sometimes, it would be just a few songs and sometimes, I would offer my services to the hosting club as the main bass player and get paid a small amount to set up my amp and play throughout the night while letting other bassists sit in.

Another thing I did was offer my services as a fill in bass player gun for hire on a short notice if I was available for gigs. This way, I picked the gigs and bands I would work with and got to play many songs with many players I never would have had the chance to otherwise and also get paid. This is also a good way to see how other players work that if you get an offer you already know if you would work with them permanently or not.

The bottom line is this will keep you out there playing without affecting your other personal commitments or require you to be tied down to a band until you are ready.

3. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Keep listening to lots of music as much as you can. Maybe you can "jam" once in awhile with friends. If you're straight with the band you're leaving, maybe you can arrange to sit in once in awhile with them. Or find some other bands you can sit in with.

4. ^ this,,, and no matter what don't forget to practice and foll around just for fun. You gotta keeps your hands in shape man, use it or lose it... That is for real.

5. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Woodshed.

6. Play with yourself :D

Use it as an opportunity to expand your skill and knowledge. Sit in when you can because nothing really takes the place of performing live and interacting with a Band. I can't commit right now to anything and it kills me - so I schedule small jams with friends and keep working on expanding my abilities.

7. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    I've made it a priority in my life to be a present parent and husband and to play music... even though I have a great day job as a consultant, I've avoided contracts that take me away from my family and my bands. I just love both too much to follow the money away from them. I've definitely not made as much money and have not advanced like some of my colleagues, but IMO, have had the richer life for it.

Now, I don't know you circumstances, so this may be unavoidable. There has been a lot of good advice stated already... I think finding and joining jams is a good way to keep the juice flowing.

One more thing, playing bass is like riding a bicycle... you won't forget how, so maybe its just a matter of doing your time and then getting back to it.

8. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    TB helps me a lot, and I have never had a band.

Hearing other peoples triumphs, and downfalls makes everything better.

9. Thanks for the replies, everyone. You all make a very good point: I can still schedule jams, hit open mikes, and the one I never would have thought of - standing in with a previous band, and being a bass for hire. I guess I'm just so hung up on this "gotta be in a band" thing that I'm not seeing the other options available to me.

I'm definitely going to get back into studying in some way. I want to keep improving, with or without a band driving me forward. But with monday-thursday leaving the house at 7am and returing at 11pm, plus a 7am-7pm schedule on fridays, its gonna be tough.

Richland123? Several YEARS, you went? Yeowza, I would go loopy! Good on you though for managing to go that long.

Its good to know that other people have done the same thing and came back it, however. I don't feel like the only person wishing there was 30 hours in a day. :D

10. Maybe your schedule won't prove to be as bad as you think. You can always hope. After not playing in bands for a decade at one point in my life (too busy, this to do, that to do etc etc) I now regret not figuring out a way to stay involved. In the end if music is your hobby is there no way to squeeze 3 to 5 hours a week in to stay involved with a band? Hobbies keep us sane and balanced in the real world.

11. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    CrispyDelicious,

I just noticed that you are located in Toronto. Toronto is my favorite city and has such a cool music scene. I jammed a couple times while on vacation at the old Healey's when they had the Tuesday night jam sessions and met and played with some incredible musicians. I do not know if the new Healey's has a jam night or not.

12. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I am going through a similar situation. Work is impeding on my play time. :( I had to bail out of my last band and have been relegated to the role of sub. :help: Just trying my best to practice solo and work on scales and stuff.