Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

No volume just tone in passive setup... How?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by G, Feb 7, 2006.

1. G

G

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    I am having a single pickup passive bass built, and I want to forgo the volume control. How would I go about doing this?

I have been reading up on pots etc. and have done a bunch of searches and I still don't have the answer I'm looking for.

Do I have to have a volume control in order to have a tone control?

2. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Nope. If you're looking to create the usual load for the pickup, just use a resistor of the same value as the normal volume pot for that pickup.

3. G

G

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    I see. What about loads? Do I need to put a resistor on there at all? Would the pickup soun d/act any different? Sorry, I'm new to this kind of thing.

4. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

The taper of your tone control will be a bit different without the load resistor in front of it, and your bass may seem a bit brighter and hotter overall. That could be interpreted as "harsh" in some cases though. Just have a try and see what you get. You don't have to use the resistor if you don't want to. Up to a point, the load resistor mellows highs and increases apparent low end as it decreases in value, but it's usually easier to just listen than to try to do the math. It'd be worthwhile to experiment with different cap and pot values for your tone control too.

5. without the volume pot, the roll-off point will be altered a little bit, but not appreciably (only vary by about 5%)...and the response of the knob will be altered (again not appreciably)...

why you'd want just a tone knob, however...???...oh well, it's doable, and if you want it...go for it.