Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

No wenge in my Streamer stage2 !

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Saibuster, Feb 8, 2002.

1. Saibuster

Saibuster

Jan 26, 2002
    UK
    Hi everybody!
    Im new here and this is my first thread here(hopefully not the last :) . Befor i ask my question
    i just wanna say that this forum is amazing and helped me alot!Thanks goes to everybody.
    (please be patient with my english, it may suck sometimes :) )

My question is this :

Ive read in this forum that the SS2s necks are made
    from wenge, and that this is one of the reasons for that "warwick growl".
    I've ordered a new SS2 thinking that this is the sound i want to get and i happily payed 2500$ for it. Now after talking with lots of people and reading
    ALL the threads about warwick in this forum, i decided that there is something wrong :
    everyone has his own version of what the ss2 neck is made from! so the natural thing to do was to ask warwick right? Here is the answer :

"
    ... here are the official specks of the streamer stage two.

Afzelia-Korpus, siebenstreifiger Ovangkol/Afzeliahals, aktive MEC J/J Pickups, aktive MEC 3-Band-

but you can oder this bass with a lot of options.
    Please contact your dealer again, for this informations....
    "

No wenge on the "new" SS2!

Does anyone knows if they changed some other stuff about the SS2? And if someone has a new SS2, Please let me know what it sounds like.mine should get here about 3 monthes from now.

Thanks,
    Itamar.

2. I don't think Warwick use wenge in their necks anymore, due to the political situation in Congo.
    But they sure used to.

3. Saibuster

Saibuster

Jan 26, 2002
    UK
    Does it mean a big difference in the sound?

4. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    There is a slight difference, the wenge sounding a bit more "dry" and "tight" than the ovangkol (at least to my ears), but the biggest differences are in feel and looks. I'd like to think that half of the bass-playing community couldn't hear the differences in tone if their lives depended on it!

5. Saibuster

Saibuster

Jan 26, 2002
    UK
    Thanks for the fast reply.

Now im really pissed, i tought that they would
    never change the specs on their high end models...

6. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    As wenge is becoming scarce, the basic supply & demand rule would give you higher prices.

If Warwick would have stayed with wenge, they wouldn't be able to keep up with the production due to the short supplies. This would also lead to higher prices.

Ovangkol is not a bad wood. It's just that people are nostalgic by nature ("those were the days" etc, etc...) and don't want anyone to change a winning concept. But you got to do what you got to do.

7. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    ovankol isn't a bad wood, if that's what you're thinking. it's used extensively in the construction of wal basses. they call it shedua, though. on the other hand, i like the wenge better on warwicks. i like it more due to the feel, than the sound. granted, there's a slight difference, but it's not _that_ much of a difference.

8. Saibuster

Saibuster

Jan 26, 2002
    UK
    Well, i guess i'll just have to wait (I've got no idea how im going to survive this horrible period, any advice ? :) ) and see if there is a difference.But i must say i feel much relieved after reading your great responses.

btw, i wonder why they still post on their U.S price
    List that the fretboards are made of wenge...
    Maybe there was a mistake ? :confused:

9. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Fretboards are still wenge, but the back of the necks aren't.