Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by groovking, Feb 11, 2005.

1. MY GUITARIST DROPPED OFF HIS AMP IN MY LITTLE STUDIO AND AFter he left i went to hook up an xlr out into my firepod......low and behold i found no xlr out,.....just an extra speaker jack and i think an effects return/ send. should i just mike the amp or should i split his signal off of his instrument cable on the way in his amp. its a crate gfx 1200h,.....doesnt look like much but he loves the sound. if it does have an effects out can i hit that signl after its been thru the preamp then into my firepod, that way i capture his sound??
  2. DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    not many (if any) guitar amps have XLR outs. Most of the time guitarists are miced.
  3. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    You should be able to use the effects send/out if it has that.

4. Matteran

Matteran Banned

Jan 1, 2005
    Santa Rosa, CA
    guitar amps sounds like **** when plugged directly in. Guitar speakers are half of the tone of a guitarist. Because of the low wattage, the speaker breakup is crucial to any sort of distortion, or warmth. A strictly clean guitar would be fine without miking. But I would just run it through some sort of pre-amp pedal (i use my Boss ODB-3 with the gain at 5, and the balance all the way dry, EQ flat, and use the level to adjust my level going into the mixer. This allows for a nice clean tone. If you move the gain up, you can get a nice warm tone, that i think sounds better than the line out on my guitar amp.)
  5. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

lots of producers run amps direct via an H&K Red Box Pro, or a Palmer PDI-09, the latter my fav. by itself, the tones are crap, but multitracked with the ol' mic'd speaker cab, you get a much punchier and detailed sound.

but in your case, groov, just mic up the speaker.
  6. Yep, either mic it up or get yourself a D.I. box to plug the guitar into and then take the XLR from that.
  7. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Mic the amp.

IMO, there's no substitute for that.

I've done gazillions of tracks "straight into the board", and through DI's and stuff like that, but at the end of the day, there's no substitute for a well mic'd rig.

Guitar is actually fairly easy to record. You can do pretty good with just a '57.

A DI usually won't be "faithful" to the sound the amp is creating, which is usually what the guitarist is listening to (and responding to).

Even an "XLR out" or a "line out" usually doesn't cut it in that regard (although there are clever exceptions, like some people tap a line out off their speakers, that kind of thing has worked exceptionally well once or twice).

There's no substitute for a well mic'd amp. In my humble opinion (and experience). :)
  8. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    I agree with the posts above...SM57 on the speaker.
    or, if an open mic is not an option..I like the H&K RedBox with speaker place this between the amp and speaker and use the 2x12 setting or the 4x12 setting. These make small combos sound huge.
  9. Usually a DI cant reflect the amp at all, because its not going through it, but there are some better high range DI's , like the sansamp bass driver and that newish ampeg one thats actually got a tube in it :) , wonder what they'd be like for guitar ?
  10. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    micing the amp is the way to go. we get a great sound using a 57 as a close mic and a ribbon mic for more of a "room sound". my gp has gotten some cool sounds with the preamp out of his marshall preamp, but its not the same.
  11. i had his signal coming out of his effects box into my presonus firepod which then output a signal thru my central station to my power amp then out to a set of yamaha s11v club speakers. the idea was left lots of extra room in the studio. isolation of signal was covered. he thought his sound was too bassy, so thus now the miking. i aleady have a short set of drums which are miked. the more mikes the more bleedthru. befpore miking his cab my only concern was bleed thru drum mikes. i dunno. i try to record our practice with the ability to save good tracks. ill give the amp miking a TRY
  12. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Try putting a '57 about three inches away from one of the guitar speakers, pointed just off center. If your guitar player will cooperate, you can point it away from the drums to minimize bleedthrough. You'll probably get a pretty hot signal, but that's a good thing, right? :)

That's pretty much the "standard recipe" for mic'ing a guitar amp, and it rarely fails. Unless you have dozens of Marshall stacks, and then it's more a question of how far away you need to get to avoid rupturing the mic membrane. :D

But yeah, close-mic'ing works great for guitar amps. :)
  13. Of course if you're just recording practices to look for trouble spots or something like that, tone won't matter so much anyway... so you could probably take the easy way out with a direct send or mic and not care too much about the bleed.

I definitely agree with the better sound coming from a mic'd up cabinet vs a DI, although I have heard some pretty respectable tones coming off a Pod.

As someone else has said, to minimize bleed close mic the cab and point the mic away from the drum kit... if you're really concerned you could look at getting one of those plexiglass type barriers or some office cubicle type walls and use those as baffles between drums and guitar.
  14. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    the best things about investing in a 57 are they're cheap (relatively) they work for everything (even bass), and they're not such a bad vocal mic either. :bag: