Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

No, you can't touch me...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gard, Apr 19, 2003.

1. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    ...I've now played a Bongo!!

:p

First impression:

Plays nice, sounds excellent, looks much better in person than the photos would indicate. The weight is comfortable, and it balances very well on a strap, but is slightly neck-heavy sitting down. The seemingly goofy 4-band EQ is actually voiced exceptionally well - as Dave put it, it actually works on musical frequencies, instead of being a "rumble" and "fret noise" knobs. :D

The only potential playability negative is the tight space for slapping on the dual humbucker and humbucker/single coil versions. The combination of the extra pickup and 24 fret neck doesn't leave a lot of room, but it is something that I was able to adjust to with a few moments of noodling.

It really sounds good in Dave L's hands! :eek:

;)

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    is he going to start playing them? he's a ray guy, isn't he?

3. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Actually, he's more of a Sterling/'Ray 5 dude.

But yeah, he's into it pretty heavy, really digs them.

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    are they doing a bongo 5?

5. Those basses do look intriguing I have to say. They look like they'd be quite versatile with H/S pups and piezo...wow.

6. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Yup, I played the prototype of Dave's, dual humbucker.

7. leftybassdog

leftybassdog Senior Supporting Member

and every other bass ! but if I remember your a Zon fretless man,

8. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Oh, indeed I am, but I can appreciate the goodness in all instruments! And besides, you're right, they ALL sound good in Dave's hands! :D

9. I love the way that bass looks, and it's gotta sound huge with those two pickups. Ah, to have some $$..

10. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I want to play one so badly

I think they look pretty cool in red with a black pearloid pick gaurd....

11. Bah, I played a Bongo over a month ago, what makes you think you're so special? ;) Wish I could've actually reviewed it, but I only played it for a couple minutes through an awful headphone amp, and the action was so low I could barely play it. Unfortunately not the best circumstances. Eh well...nice to hear a review from someone much more expert than myself. Sounds cool; now if I could only get some money together for one! I think I'll have to settle for just drooling at GC...