Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nobby Meidel?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Norwegianwood, Mar 13, 2004.

1. Ok, I'm still searching for a fretless, and I've come over warwicks Nobby Meidel. This bass have a bad reputation, or what? I've heard that they vary in quality. But I think it looks veeery cool. And nobody have them around here.
    But what do you think of this bass? How is it compared to a Carvin B4 freltess, neck-through? Any advice is recieved thankfully.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    This site is dedicated to that Warwick model.

http://www.spacecowboy.de/

The site is in German but you can at least listen to some sound samples there.

According to this Warwick page the early ones have a weak neck, but I think if you find one today with a good neck, chances are that it'll stay good.
    Wenge neck NMs are safe as I understand it.

http://www.warwickbass.com/nobby.html

It will sound nothing like a Carvin fretless in any case.

3. Ok, thanks!
    How will a carvin fretless sound like, then?

4. klem

klem

Mar 14, 2004
    Germany/Duisburg
    Hi there!
    It´s very easy to play. The sound is great! I like it.

klem

5. Hi!
    No,I haven't bought it yet, but I'm considering it, so I want some information regarding if it's worth the money or not.
    It's number 702. I dunno about the wood..

6. klem

klem

Mar 14, 2004
    Germany/Duisburg
    Hi everbody!
    I´m looking for Nobby Meidel Bass users. Actually players or past players. I need infos about the "fretless" nobby. Please give me a note.

klem

7. As I have said several times, I haven't bought it yet, but I'm considering it. ;) :D And I have to pay 584 euros for it...

8. klem

klem

Mar 14, 2004
    Germany/Duisburg
    [​IMG]

9. Well, the thing is that I have to travel quite far to test it, so I'm considering if I should take the effort or not. But I think I will! So basically, I'm looking for advices on if it generally is a good bass or not...
    Thanks for the help so far! All I know is that it looks are damn cool...

10. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    €584 for an instrument this rare... that sounds good. Ypu dig the shape? Good. Then the only thing left is to try it ;)

11. klem

klem

Mar 14, 2004
    Germany/Duisburg
    I´ve paid for mine last year: 461€. That was an good deal for best condition, EMG´s, no dongs. Like a new one!

klem

12. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    What's going on??? I think I'm a bit scared:crying:

13. klem

klem

Mar 14, 2004
    Germany/Duisburg
    Be patient, please. Mercy! Klem :D

14. Foo

Foo

Dec 15, 2004
    If you really want to hear what a truly nice Nobby sounds like I would suggest you google for Christian Veltman. He's a Swedish bass player with quite a few recordings made. Listen especially to his recrding on Leif Strand's recordning called "De tolv årstiderna" (The twelve seasons).
    Personally I have a fretless Nobby Meidel serialnr 807. It's a really good one that's for sale if the right buyer turns up.
    I have a flight case to it that fits the base like a glove too. If you are interested please let me know. I'm not selling it because I need the money. I'm just a regular dad that can't find as much time playing as I want and feel that my Nobby could be better off beeing played more regularly by someone who can take care of it.
    (The bass is located in Sweden)

Best regards
    /Foo

15. smakbass

smakbass Smakkin basses for 25 years..

Aug 6, 2002
    Vancouver Canada
    There is one of these available at Long and Mcquade in Vancouver Canada for 675 canadian in amazing shape...

16. klem

klem

Mar 14, 2004
    Germany/Duisburg
    Oh, nice! Please post me some good pics! That would be great! Klem

17. klem

klem

Mar 14, 2004
    Germany/Duisburg
    I can´t find one at the website.

18. smakbass

smakbass Smakkin basses for 25 years..

Aug 6, 2002
    Vancouver Canada
    hmm I didnt think they posted used gear there either way it has been sold now.

19. Thanks for your kind words Foo!
    That recording was made a looong time ago ;-)
    I don´t even have a copy...

The two Nobby Meidel basses I owned were very good instruments! Very good balance and tone.
    I sold them after many years to fulfill an old dream, a Alembic short-scale series one. But that story did not last long.

My old NB-bass was sold at a musicstore here in stockholm sweden for 200Euros about a year ago. The new ower is a friend who plays it smiling ;-)

Kind regards
    Christian

20. Chris90

Chris90

Sep 26, 2007
    Sorry for bumping up this old thread, but does anyone know a Nobby Meidel bass for sale? Preferably in Europe..