NOBD '69 Gibson EB3

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by godofthunder59, Oct 13, 2021 at 2:19 PM.

1. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Jim Lea live.

TBird1958 and bobyoung53 like this.
  2. Bulltrout

Bulltrout Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2007
    Edmonton, Alberta
    I just watched your YouTube video of a ‘60’s EB0 yesterday. Hopefully you’ll shoot a video of this one too.

godofthunder59 likes this.
  3. HardNHeavy

HardNHeavy

Apr 17, 2014
    PA
    great pix..looks like it's seen some good times....Never tried one but i see one hanging at the local shop occasionally.

4. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

My EB-2 has a Dimarzio One in it. It's a spectacularly good sounding bass guitar.

Dluxe and bobyoung53 like this.
  5. Inky13

Inky13

Nov 13, 2016
    Buffalo NY
    Scott, I really worry about you sometimes. :):D:laugh::cool:

deff likes this.
  6. deff

deff Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2018
    Gloucester, MA
    not to hijack the thread but wow. Did Diggins make Jim's original bass? He make yours? That's bananas....

godofthunder59 likes this.
  7. berlihe

berlihe

Jan 16, 2014
    I've never gotten my hands on a vintage EB0 or EB3. Do the new SG basses even come close to replicating their sound?

8. bobyoung53

bobyoung53 Supporting Member

Mine sounds good, i unhooked the choke and it opened it right up.

Gaolee likes this.
  9. I remember seeing stoner rock? band and the bassist had one of those. I’ll never forget how it sounds.

10. ProbablyTooLoud

ProbablyTooLoud

Aug 1, 2020
    Atlanta
    Cute how they assumed bass players can count past four.

11. D.M.N.

D.M.N. (O)))) Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    No, not in my experience with both. The pickups in the modern SG basses are completely different, and if I recall are more or less modern Thunderbird pickups under the covers (though that was years ago, when they were listed as TB+ pickups, on the Gibson sight now they are listed as SG bass pickups, but I haven't heard of any redesign). However, you can purchase a more proper set of Mudbucker pickups from a number of pickup winders, and that'll get you much closer.

berlihe likes this.
  12. Gaolee

Mine was the way it is when I got it almost 40 years ago. I have been told that the wiring is butchered. Works for me. Whoever butchered it, did a good job with it. I don't know for sure, but I suspect that the Dimarzio One went in sometime in the early 70s, since it's a little different from current versions, and it was aged already when I got the bass in 1982 or so.

I have tried to figure out what year my EB-2 is many times. The SN comes up all kinds of ways, depending on where you look. I think it's probably a '68, but it could be anything from a '67 to a '70 or maybe even as late as '71 or '72. It's a red, dual pickup model with no mud button from the factory. It has the late '60s intonable bridge instead of the kind of fixed bar earlier ones had, but it also has clovers and some other things that make me think it's earlier rather than later. Who knows. It came from a Gibson factory a long time ago.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021 at 12:51 PM
    bobyoung53 likes this.
  13. Gaolee

Or just get a Mudbucker from eBay or Reverb. I currently have two of those that will eventually go somewhere or another.

bobyoung53 and D.M.N. like this.
  14. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Yes Diggins made my bass and Jims. Jim put his bass up as a pattern, even autographed mine :)

revd, Gaolee and deff like this.
  15. bobyoung53

Man, he had some pipes in him!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021 at 1:20 PM
    revd and godofthunder59 like this.
  16. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Might as well throw in a little Glenn Cornick, while we're at it.

The double stop solo is a bear to get right... I flamenco style that part of the song.

Nice snag, too!

Gaolee and Rezdog like this.
  17. bobyoung53

I used to play that line on a bass when I was a kid but nowhere as near as well as he played it on that EB-3.

18. bobyoung53

Funny you posted that, because that solo is the only thing I can remember trying to learn note for note when I was a kid.

Gaolee, Rezdog and Spidey2112 like this.
  19. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    It's all connected, Bob.

I'm out of the prog rock band I was in, but we had a heavy JT influence. That particular song was both challenging to remember it note for note, and play.

bobyoung53 likes this.
  20. bobyoung53

I never played it out but I can still remember it, I lifted the phono arm up and down a lot of times for that one. I still think it's a great solo.

Rezdog and Spidey2112 like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 19, 2021