1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NOBD: I did a bad thing and I’m not even drunk !!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dark Horse, Jul 8, 2020.

1. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    NEWLY ORDERED BASS DAY !

I am one of those weirdos who absolutely loves antigua finishes. In 2012 I believe, Fender did a special run of a few instruments that came in that finish, reissues of the late 70s much maligned color. Since I can’t afford the originals any more, I’ve been watching for these reissues, but you pretty much never see them. (I’ve had “Antigua bass” as a daily search for almost two years on eBay, only seeing the occasional vintage one, never the reissues). The few people that have them just don’t seem to get rid of them.

Recently I was able to buy a parts bass that had one of these Antigua Precision bodies on it, so I jumped on it.... kept the body and sold the rest. My plan was to slowly build up something close to the reissue P whenever I could find semi-appropriate parts. It wouldn’t be exact, but it’d be close enough. That was the plan anyway.....

Here is a pic of the body....

9B113D94-C90B-4CDA-87A3-3900185057B1.jpeg

So imagine my surprise when I did a quick scan of the word “bass” on reverb and set the options to “newest listed”..... and found a Fender FSR Antigua Precision with a tweed Fender/G&G case had been listed less than an hour ago !!! Well...... I can’t afford it. :( Medical bills suck. But the time to buy something like this is “when you can”, so I sucked it up and hit “Buy It Now” like an irresponsible teenager. Not quite sure how all the bills will work out... I need to sell a few things, possibly including that extra FSR Antigua body. Or perhaps the DiCosimo 360 or JHS Colour Box I recently bought. Not sure yet. But fate put that bass in front of me, so I’m supposed to have it ! :)

So sometime next week this baby will be arriving at my door !!

And yeah.... it’s likely that you hate the color ..... but I LOVE it !!! :p

A42130B9-1A4D-4563-BCBA-A0098BD260C4.jpeg

2. ToP fan

ToP fan

Mar 28, 2010
    Waterloo, Ontario
    Looks OK to me- not the typical Antigua finish

More importantly- as long as you love it WHO CARES if anyone else does!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! rock it with pride brother!!!!

Dave

bpc, Thumb n Fingers, equill and 10 others like this.
  3. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Thanks... and Definitely!

The originals came in this grey and cream, but the clear coat yellowed ave makes them look “avocado and vanilla”... It’s so ugly that it’s cool.

But I also dig these non-yellowed ones :)

4. Jason Stock

Jason Stock

Aug 13, 2019
    Edmonton
    Play what you want and enjoy it!

5. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    Congrats...I think! ;)

And when your wallet is ready, I have a vintage Frigidaire® that's just waiting for a new home. :smug:

6. Fresh Eddie

Fresh Eddie

Nov 13, 2008
    Great score! I have an Antigua Jazz that totally turned the baby puke yellow and green. Haha. The reissues also had painted pickguard edges.

Timmy Liam and Dark Horse like this.
  7. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    :thumbsup::thumbsup: Love it! I have recently acquired one from the same run - originally purchased as a display bass (just to decorate a wall!), but it plays and sounds so nice that I have upgraded it to the "house bass" for guests at my studio

8. JimmyThunder

JimmyThunder Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I think Antigua is beautiful. A nice thing about the reissues is you can experiment with different pickguards and hardware colors to find "just the right colorway" without worrying about un-originalizing a vintage bass.

de-originalizing? IDK

9. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i think it's a great look! sorry about the financial strain, but you're right = sometimes you have to act! i'm looking forward to seeing your own pics posted. congrats! :thumbsup:

10. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert
    Treat yourself. Sometimes, you just have to. ;)
    Personally, I dig-ua the Antigua.. :rollno: :D

11. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    There was time when I thought that finish was absolutely the bomb. That time has passed for me, glad you found one while it's your turn in the "I Love Antigua" barrel.

My current opinion is that Antigua is for those that love a burst finish, but can't stand the sight of wood grain.

12. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX

:D

George Dennis likes this.
  13. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX

:D

pachoate and wraub like this.
  14. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    I LOVE that color! It's not usually what I would consider... but it fits the bass. I'm also more of a rosewood fretboard guy... but that color looks killer with the maple board.

Nicely done!

15. BassFishingInAmerica

BassFishingInAmerica

Jul 24, 2014
    When I was a kid, my parents had a Mercury Bobcat (car). Ford used the exact same colors — the exterior was that light greenish yellow and the interior was the same green as the outer edges. I can’t look at an antigua without seeing that car.
    F858BFFA-98FB-4E67-8256-0B31B20A668A.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  16. Brad Easley

Brad Easley

Nov 21, 2018
    Congrats on your new bass!

Is it ugly? Kinda. Is it cool? Heck yeah it is! Granted, I've got a thing for ugly 70's gear. I've got a Gretsch TK-300 guitar (google it, it takes the cake for ugly guitars).

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  17. staurosjohn

staurosjohn Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Nottingham, MD
    Dang... is this beaut (currently) for sale?!? ;)

teh-slb and B-Mac like this.
  18. BassFishingInAmerica

BassFishingInAmerica

Jul 24, 2014
    Not sure about this one. I’ve seen them listed for $5000. Worst car ever made. When you turn off the key, it would keep running for 20-30 seconds.

19. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Sweet lookin' ride!

PM me a link if one of your crazy cool bass creations goes up for sale. I need a Dark Horse bass about as bad as you needed this one. But there's an irresponsible teenager lurking inside of me as well. :cool:

(I really am looking for a P bass neck if you have one....)

Dark Horse likes this.
  20. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX

The manufacturer was just being considerate....in case you changed your mind and wanted to drive an additional 12 feet.