1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NOBD (new old bass day)!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by johnk_10, Dec 23, 2011.

1. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i just finished cleaning and setting up a 'new to me' bass that just arrived via fedex tonight, a 1975 Gibson Ripper. the last time that i had one was back in 1975 when i worked at a music store that was a gibson dealer. IMO, these basses are a real bargain right now, and this one sounds and plays awesome. when it arrived, the pickguard was really foggy and looked horrible (nitrate single ply dark tort). it also needed a new nut so i made a new one for it. the neck is as straight as an arrow and it's shape is super comfy to play. it came with it's original hardshell (formfit) case with the purple crushed velver interior. it also came with it's hang tags, warranty booklet and even the 45 rpm demo/owner's manual!

anyway, no pics, no bass, so here it is:

ripper-01.

ripper-02.

i'm really lovin' this thing! and it weighs only 8lbs 13oz.

2. Very nice. 1975 was a good year for a lot of things -- me included. Now go out and wail on that new ge-tar.

3. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Nice! Love them Rippers.

4. It's difficult for me to not want a Ripper, so it's on the GAS list.

It's cool that you got one with the case and the demo 45. Got any spindle adapters?

5. I've a '77 wine red Alder G3 & love it. Such a great tone with Labella tapes on. :)
    Love the maple John.

6. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    That is a great looking example. Always wanted a G-3. They seem to be good deals right now too.

7. GtenderG

GtenderG

Feb 29, 2008
    That is a fine looking instrument! Back then (maybe the late 70's but close enough) I would see Rippers and Rd Artists hanging in the back of Sam Goody (records) stores. Am gassing for one of these in maple or a sunburst RD Artist.

Enjoy it!

8. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Sweet! The Rippers and the Peavey T-40's always make me think, "Now there is a MAN'S bass!" :D

9. Engine207

Engine207 Losing faith in humanity...one call at a time.

Jul 10, 2008
    Higley, AZ
    Now you can take a photo of you playing it in full Gene Simmons regalia! :D

10. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    more pics.....................

w/OHSC:
    ripper-03.

w/case candy:

ripper-04.

hang tag/owner's manual:

ripper-05.

ripper-06.

45 RPM demo cover:

ripper-07.

45 RPM demo back:

ripper-08.

11. SwansonEricJohn

SwansonEricJohn Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Denver
    Looks just like mine. When I was a little kid I saw The Last Waltz on TV and, 1) wanted to play bass immediately, and 2) wanted a Ripper! Danko's was sunburst but I haven't seen too many of those around.

And who can forget that Peter Cetera actually PLAYED BASS on those early Chicago records!?

Attached Files:

12. Dakotah

Dakotah

Dec 21, 2011
    Port Richey,FL
    That's sweet!

13. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks I build Grosbeak Guitars and Basses Commercial User

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Grosbeak Guitars
    Very nice. Congrats John!

14. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Wow! Very cool! Thanks for sharing with us!

15. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    For some reason when I look at that bass I think AMC Pacer :D

Cool time warp with the case candy. Worth the price of admission for sure.

16. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i kinda know what you mean ;), but i gotta say, the early alder bodied ones are super resonant. it's even sounds great acoustically.

17. Here's the one over here, from 1974, with a replacement tortz guard from Pickguardian (made from acryl, so it will survive some time). The original nitrate guard is very vulnerable to shattering, cracking and warping, so please, be careful with that guard, they are EXTREMELY rare. They were only used on selected models in the first year of the run. As the original electronics were rusted, I replaced it with a custom wiring, based on a Gibson L6-S guitar, with a 6-way rotary switch, giving me all the Ripper options, and a second out of phase mode, with a capacitor in it (very P-like growl), and the neck pickup solo (almost Gibson EB0-EB3 kind of sound). A replacement 3P6W or 3P4W switch won't fit, so you have to use a vintage switch from a L6. I found mine here, NOS. Ripper owners, grab these while they are hot, I've been searching for those for 4 years.

Wiring:

b086abba.
    Value of the choke inductor is 1.5H (two coils of 750mH)

752ba211.

bb80ea7a.

18. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    your ripper looks gorgeous with that new guard.
    and you're absolutely right about the original celluloid guards being very fragile. mine has a few issues but it still looks good so i just kept it on there.

19. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    There was a silverburst one on the 'bay not long ago, looked totally cool. Sunburst ones show up from time to time too, not totally uncommon, and that's the one I want.

A few years ago I also owned an L6-S guitar version of this bass. Awesome, awesome, awesome! With that vari-tone it sounded like an SG on steroids and ate Les Pauls for lunch.