1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Noble Amps Preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by IanAllison, Aug 11, 2013.

1. IanAllison

IanAllison Supporting Member

May 27, 2006
    Minneapolis
    Hey TB,

Check this out:

http://nobleamps.com/pedals.html

Did a search. Came up empty. Thought I'd start a thread. Does anybody know anything about this yet? Looks interesting. Potentially a cool alternative to the REDDI / Evil Twin / U5 / Firefly / etc.

Jack Roan likes this.
  2. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Feb 19, 2006
    west suburban boston
    That tube poking out of the side is just screaming "break me!".
    Other than that, at $550 im not gonna be the guinea pig. The transformer sounds promising- how many tubes and what type are in the Reddi?

BurningSkies likes this.
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    REDDI has one tube, a 6N1P, which is kinda sorta similar to a 12AX7 but can't be used interchangeably. But it also has a pretty large output transformer that's 4 or 5 lbs. as compared to the Jensen, which is quite small. Jensens are cool, but the big OT makes a big difference in tubiness, which puts it and the Evil Twin in a different category. This Noble reminds me most of all of a cross between the SVT-DI and the Sansamp BDDI with its 2 band preamp. Probably sounds good, but I don't know that I'd expect REDDI-level tubiness.

BassGreaser likes this.
  4. IanAllison

IanAllison Supporting Member

May 27, 2006
    Minneapolis
    Right. I have a REDDI and love it. Just looking for a pedalboard friendly fly option. And I love that light up logo. I'm shallow.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    My pedalboard friendly fly option IS the REDDI ;) But I get it. And I'm with you on the lighting up logos and stuff....after all...

AmpegB-15R006.

Jefenator and BassGreaser like this.
  6. stephenleejp

stephenleejp Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2008
    Virginia Beach
    bump

7. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    The external mounting of the power transformer looks kind of sketchy, no?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  8. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    +1 The tubes definitely need some sort of a cage to protect them from guitar player's clumsy feet!

It's a neat idea. I'm working on something similar at the moment.

9. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Seems legit. I mean, exposed tubes on the floor or stage...which hardly ever gets traffic in the dark by people who never pay attention to what's under foot. What could go wrong? (I had a drummer once who not only walked all over cords, but even trampled pedals so badly that he'd upend them. Wouldn't even notice...then one day I grabbed him by the neck, tipped him down to see what he was doing, and explained in quiet but 'moving' terms that he would stop doing that.

I was thinking the same thing. It looks like a DIY project that needed a bigger box.

Red Planet likes this.
  10. atgronkvist

atgronkvist

Feb 14, 2011
    Nashville, TN
  11. MarkA

MarkA *** Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Never heard of it before today. Looks cool - versatile, certainly, with its ability to power pedals and its diminutive size. Put that together with a tiny power amp and you can realize the dream of some of a totally pedal board based rig (well, except for the cab, but I don't think we're there yet). Maybe more to the point for some, it's tiny and runs on different voltages.

I'd be curious to hear how it compares to some more traditionally sized gear, particularly with all the boutique DIs now here or on the horizon. Would wonder, too, how well it would drive an amp. It's $900...

12. jmbjandfam

jmbjandfam Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2011
    Foxfire Village N.C.
    I am looking for a DI with a good tube break up sound as I play without an amp. I just found this and think it sounds good:

Anybody else have experience with this or maybe alternatives?

13. Ricky Caboverde

Ricky Caboverde

Feb 26, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I'd love to get one! Noble just posted this on YT:

14. jmbjandfam

Apr 24, 2011
    Foxfire Village N.C.
    That's hot! I want one too!

Jack Roan likes this.
  15. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Talking Rock GA
    OEM Manufacturing Supplier
    Interesting. I like the size. I wonder if 1/4" is just a parallel wired thru or does it come off the preamp output? Seems to be the SOP is just a regular Thru.

16. jmbjandfam

Apr 24, 2011
    Foxfire Village N.C.
    Copied from their website:

And since the EQ affects both 1/4” and XLR outputs, the entire venue gets to hear your bass the way you want it to sound.

Jack Roan and Red Planet like this.
  17. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Talking Rock GA

Excellent, I like the ability to send the Mojo in any direction.

Jack Roan likes this.
  18. Amplified

Amplified

Jan 19, 2014
    Cyberspace
    Loving it.....

3AE6E084-2E43-41C6-A115-20FA3737A666_zpsdu2bqwgz.

19. jmbjandfam

Apr 24, 2011
    Foxfire Village N.C.
    Yeah baby. Tell us more. Did you just get it? How are you using it? What would you compare it to?

And Congrats! drool

Amplified likes this.
  20. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Talking Rock GA
    Nice how does it compare to the REDDI?

If for some reason you should get tired of it and cant stand it being in the same room with you please let me know I will relieve you of the distress. :D

Amplified likes this.