1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Noble pre, temple audio and stuff

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jman2089, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Jman2089

Jman2089 Yup, Im getting older Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2010
    San Jose, Ca
    image. After going thru many pedals and general gas, I decided to quit messing around. Still waiting for the new Mu-Fx pedal and wavering on the Cali 76 compact. Nevertheless here is where I'm at.
    Starting with the shure- simple and clean. I do like the spectra comp. The 3 Leaf pedals are perfect. The T/C tri-chorus is sweet sounding. The final piece of the puzzle is the noble pre. It is as good as everyone says it is. And the power out is perfect. The temple audio solo 18 is tight, clean and gives you many different possibilities. My amp and speakers are a Bergantino IP 112er/Ht112er
    First gig is Thursday. I'll report back with the results.

Attached Files:

2. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    If I may ask, why is the chain seemingly starting on the left rather than the right?

3. Jman2089

Sep 26, 2010
    San Jose, Ca
    The biggest reason is placement of the pedals on the board. After trying so many different configurations on the board, this was the most efficient way to fit everything on the board. The signal chain is this-
    Shure wireless > out to input of temple board, so that I can plug in a cable if needed> T/C spectra comp> Octave> Proton filter>Doom fuzz>T/C Chorus>Nobel pre: out to Bergantino IP, DI to front of house.

SLO Surfer, Jack Roan and Dave W like this.
  4. gaj98467

gaj98467 Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2014
    Tacoma, WA
    How do you like the Temple Audio? Do you use the quick fastening feature on your pedals? It seems like a good idea but does it work well in practice?

Jack Roan likes this.
  5. Jman2089

Sep 26, 2010
    San Jose, Ca
    Well I cheated, I use the pedal fasteners, but I put blue tape on the bottom of my pedals first. I would like to make sure I have it all in place first. So far it has been working fine. The trick is to place the mount on the board then peel the top coat off, then place your pedal on the board. This way you can position the mount relative to where you're pedal placement is, instead of mounting on the pedal. This ensures you have the pedals where you want in the board.

Jeff O'Connor likes this.
  6. Jman2089

Sep 26, 2010
    San Jose, Ca
    Gig report:
    I have a fender custom shop jazz bass 5 that just received a makeover. Ash body-trans white, rosewood neck with pearl blocks. New Aguilar ob3 pre, Lindy Fralins 5 string pickups stock wind, hipshot a-style fender mount bridge. The new parts really woke up the bass. The bridge was needed as I always had trouble with the B-string bridge nut coming loose. The bass is tighter now with an unbelievable tone jumping off the single coils.
    This was the first time I plugged into the berggys and was surprised how much more output I had.
    The gig was a winery, huge outdoor stage. We have a sound guy and full PA support. I told him about the new noble pre. As soon as he heard "Yup, there it is". He said it was clean and clear all night long. With have done this gig before and we suffer with bad power. The back line keep losing power as did my board. Once we got it stabilized it was fine, the problem is all the power on/off made the spectra comp lose its program which has been a reported issue. Just ordered a Cali 76 bass compact this morning. We do a lot off festivals and the problem will arise again I know it.

Ok I love my Ampeg svp cl rack pre, but the Nobel was cleaner, period. Set at 9 on the volume, bass at 11, treble at 10 and full setting. At home I use the low end filter cutoff. For the up coming club gigs I'm sure that is how I will set it. When you dig into the bass on the neck pick up, you get this thick clean "grit" that was a natural tube drive. On the p/u mix back off the high and its super thick. My normal setting is the mix blend being noon about 10pm from the center detent giving me the bridge tone. I was able to get all my tones for each song. Slap, motown, grit, smooth it was all there. I had to back the input gain to noon from 2 pm on the berg and the volume at 9 on the noble. The noble has way more gain than any other preamp I've used.

In-ears: I run a sennheiser with Westone am pro 20's. Best iem I have ever heard. The westones have a port so I can hear the stage and not ever feeling plugged up. The nobel does give the perfect iem sound.

On the pedals- stevie wonder, smashmouth, Micheal Jackson all came out perfect with the new pedal setup. We do a Bruno Mars/ MJ mix of Tresure>shake your body. On bruno- full neck pickup for the P-bass slap, moving to mix setting with the T/C chorus. Just jumped out. In fact thru the whole gig the pedals worked better than before. they were just clearer. With the 3 leaf pedals they added the effect and never over powered the bass tone.

Still will play with the tone and gain settings but for the first time using the new setup at a gig I was really impressed.

I have a new Pat Wilkins bass coming a 70's funk machine with the roasted maple neck and fret board. I can't wait to use that bass with the band.

Jack Roan likes this.
  7. Jman2089

Sep 26, 2010
    San Jose, Ca
    Ok 2nd gig , new change up
    Origin effects compact bass compressor. I wasn't really excited about the pedal at home, but there is no substitute for a live gig and headphones at home.
    Simply amazing. Perfect blend of dry and compressed sound. The High pass filter brought out the fatness and kept the snap alive. Very impressed.

The Noble continues to shine. Absolutely made no changes from the winery gig to an outdoor street dance, Sunnyvale music in the avenue- great crowd. I'm not one to make any changes once I get a tone I like, so having the noble is perfect for me. I have used several notable pre's and power amps and amplifiers over the years. The simplicity of the Noble (which I'm sure has a complex interior) is really the best pre I have ever used period.
    The addition of the Origin effects just was over top. Still waiting for the Mu-fx compact version 2, but the 3 leafs work so well together I'm still debating.

Signal changes-
    Shure>origin effects >octave>doom>proton>Tc> and the Noble

Jack Roan likes this.
  8. Jman2089

Sep 26, 2010
    San Jose, Ca
    Gig report: small club gig in Pleasanton. The Main Street brewery (table 19, you're pizza is ready)
    Great little venue, tough room acoustically. We have to be very volume attentive so I only used One cabinet, The Bergantino ip112. This cabinet has been a workhorse. Solid 1x12 that never ceases to amaze me. Now with the Noble, I used the low cut switch. Strong definition and I turned up the highs to noon. Still had a strong bottom and the mids were well defined. I knew that switch was going to come in handy for gigs just like this. Oh, I always use a grandma pad under my cabinets, which if you never have tried one, I really recommend it. One a wood stage, festival stage it just cuts the rumble and you have "your sound" no matter where you are playing. Mid way through the second set I kicked in the low switch and "boom". Sweet and strong fatness. The Noble/Bergantino combo is just killer.
    IMG_6308.JPG
    One bummer for the evening. The origin effects took a dump. On the last gig towards the end I had a "howling feedback issue". I thought is was a bad cable and unfortunately the George-L cables have been an issue from time to time. I moved the cables and it stopped. Swapped cables before last nights gig. During set up it started again and the Cali turned out to be the culprit. Guess I should have tested after I did the cable swap. Pulled it off the board and well still had a great sound!

5StringPocket likes this.
  9. Jman2089

Sep 26, 2010
    San Jose, Ca
    I might add, the board is a work in progress, but so far the only item I use in the rack now is my sennheiser iem's. I haven't had time time to rearrange the rack so it was on the berg for my power connections and on this gig I did not use IEMs.

10. Jman2089

Sep 26, 2010
    San Jose, Ca
    IMG_6348.JPG Gig report: my problem with the Cali appreared to be the 18v power cable. Used a reg 9v cable and the microphonic problem went away.
    Outdoor gig- with a new Wilkins WRTJ5. What a great bass. The pictures do not show the detail of the bass, but it is beautiful and light! The bass sits mid forward if the mix and really stands out. The top end is very articulate like no other bass I have ever owned.
    Played the Morgan hill Friday music venue. What a great crowd. The stage is all cement and really a lot of hard surfaces which reverberates the bass and amplifies the stage volume. I dig playing there, but it really is problematic for our band ever time we play their (Sage- 8'piece horn band)
    By the second song I turned of my stage rig. Did the whole gig with IEMs. One of the reasons I bought "The Noble" was to have the amp/DI feature. Turned down the volume and had a clean DI FOH feed. Best iem sound I've ever had. May have to go sans amp every gig? Nahhhhhhhhh

11. Jman2089

Sep 26, 2010
    San Jose, Ca
    So I started a revision of my solo board. I moved up to a duo 17. This is my bass/acoustic guitar temple board. Still a work in progress as I am waiting for a Broughton parametric eq to finish the board and then start the wiring process. I sing a lot with my band, so I added a second Shure wireless Pedal for my headset microphone. That runs into the tc harmony and then to a di box for the pa. No more racks! image. The sound with my bergantino ip is outstanding!

Attached Files:

smittybass33 and Slaymus like this.
  12. Jman2089

Sep 26, 2010
    San Jose, Ca
    Ok did something today. Added my EA on top of the berg IP. Uh oh nice sound and I just sold it. Doh!

13. Slaymus

Slaymus Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2004
    Quebec
    Comparison between the Cali76 CB and the Basswitch Dual Band Comp ?

14. Jman2089

Sep 26, 2010
    San Jose, Ca
    Clarity. The FEA dual band compressor is what I wanted, but I didn’t have the real estate for the pedal. I like the simplicity of the TC spectra comp and it is a multi band compressor. there is a huge difference in a single band vs a dual band. I really like the Cali 76, but I missed the sparkle of the tc. I kept investigating and found the videos for the basswitch. I used to have the basswitch IP, I looked into basswitch pedals. After hearing the videos on line the dual band is excactly what I wanted. I bought it special order from sweetwater. When it arrived I seriously was just getting my new board configured and simply plugging it in a setting the volume I knew right away was what I was looking for. I had the keeley bassist, Cali 76 deluxe and compact, Dbx 166 and 266, 3 Leaf Pwnzor (twice) and the tc spectra comp (which I’ll keep). After all the comps the basswitch dual comp won the battle. I play in r and b horn band and a 4 peice country band. The noble works perfectly with the bergantino IP and this just added that little something I was looking for. Now Im really excited for the Broughton parametric eq as my rig is going to be dual purpose for the acoustic solo board.

LehleSupport and Slaymus like this.
  15. Slaymus

Slaymus Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2004
    Quebec
    Thanks !
    Great pedalboard !

16. Jman2089

Sep 26, 2010
    San Jose, Ca
    Did the initial layout. Now doing wiring.

Attached Files:

17. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Why the noble preamp?

18. Jman2089

Sep 26, 2010
    San Jose, Ca
    And slow process indeed. image. I use a Bergantino ip112er and ht112er the noble pairs beautifully with the berg. And since I use pedals it was a no brainer because the noble has 6 regulated power supply outs. It’s very convenient. I did order a Broughton parametric eq, just to dial in some mids.

19. Jman2089

Sep 26, 2010
    San Jose, Ca
    With my band I used IEMs and coupled with the foh mix the noble has been the best sounding pre I’ve used. I do miss my ampeg cl pre, but having a pre on my board made more sense because of the powered Bergantino system. I talked with Jim Bergantino; I had a small problem with the IP and he diagnosed and told me how the fix over the phone. It was the high pass filter switch. Great service! We talked abit as I was considering the new b/amp, he says “don’t get me wrong I’d love for you to buy it, but the IP is the first b/amp. The dsp setting for the ht’s is exactly what is in the IP112. So you already have it. I have been very tempted by the new hg310/410 simply because of the weight but my system is down to 3 pieces and is not bad at all to move around. So the noble just fits my bill and I dig having a tube pre!

20. Jman2089

Sep 26, 2010
    San Jose, Ca
    image. And just waiting for the Broughton to finish it off