1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Noble vs Sonic Farm

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by J.Wolf, Mar 4, 2016.

Tags:
  1. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Contributor- Bass Musician Magazine
    Just curious if anyone has direct compared these powerhouse tube DI's. I own a sonic farm and love it, so I'm just curious if anyone has compared the two, sonically. Feature wise they're pretty different, so really just looking for tonal comparisons. thx

2. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    the noble is a fender tone stack. go buy a fender bassman for 400 dollars and save 500. your welcome. also comes with more preamp tubes and power section.

3. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    oof. haha.

Not having played one, I'm in no position to disagree.

4. tedw

tedw Gold Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Northwest U.S.
    I took delivery of my Noble last week and used in our large church. The sound guys loved it. Sorry I can't compare it to the Sonic Farm unit.

5. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    What kind of instruments are you using it with? Passive, active?

6. tedw

Jun 13, 2006
    Northwest U.S.
    Passive Lull PJ with flats is what I used at Church. Sounds good at home with a rounds as well. I can eq my other amp to get close to the sound, but there is something about what the Noble is doing that makes it sound quite a bit better in our large sanctuary. Even at home, there is something about the Noble that makes it sound better than just equivalent eqing on my solid state amp. It would be interesting to try the sonic farm, but I'm trying to avoid that kind of gas...

I previously tried a REDDI, which is well liked by our current sound guys, but the feedback that I got (from our previous sound guy... who was around when I tried the REDDI, and may have lacked insight) was that it was too dark sounding for our room. I prefer the Noble because it sends a tube-processed signal to my amp.

7. Now that there's a dedicated thread addressing these comparisons I would like to suggest that if people have experiance with the Arkam as well they should chime in with comments too. I hope that isn't too much of a derail Jwolf but I see these all as being in the same ballpark and I think many are looking at them as possibility so too.

8. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Hey Kirk, no harm no foul. I had thought about doing a boutique DI megathread thing, but was mostly curious about a comparison between these two.

Opening it up, it would be interesting to compare the 2DI4 vs Noble vs Arkham vs REDDI vs Basswitch vs Eclair vs Monique vs whatever else. Sounds like a good review for someone with more time than myself!

9. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
  10. Yeah, save that money for flyaway dates... your gonna need it for a quality flight case for that Vintage Bassman Head(30lbs.), power for your pedalboard/iem, extra baggage fees, and possibly a good di on top of that.;) I personally own the Noble, no experience with the Sonic Farm though.

rictrose, chris merrill and J.Wolf like this.
  11. :rollno:

rictrose and chris merrill like this.
  12. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Yeah, its all about realistic equivalencies. I don't expect small format pedals to do what tube amps do, nor do I expect a 'super' hi quality 112 to do what a 2x115 does. There is a certain value to be considered with gear that lets you travel more simply and cheaply, even if it doesnt quite do everything that the 'real deal' does.

PFAC likes this.
  13. Oh, don't underestimate the Noble, it is very versatile and sounds king... I wouldn't take five of those "real deal" dinosaurs for mine!:rolleyes:

rictrose likes this.
  14. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    I hear that. I just mean that all baxandall tone stacks are not the same, regardless of size, design, etc.. and trying to equate to big vintage tube head to a modern tube DI is a losing proposition, in more ways than one.

PFAC likes this.
  15. I couldn't agree with you more J.Wolf... Not to get ant more off track, but I am wondering are you are using any type of compression?

16. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Not currently. I had a compulator for a while, then a Diamond, but neither was quite what I was looking for. Thinking about trying an Empress or something like that, that offers more control over the parameters. If I played Fender-style instruments only, I would have been very happy with the Diamond.

17. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Honestly the Sonic Farm has such pleasing attack envelope and dynamics that I don't think about compression much. Same with the Monique when I used that. I would guess that the Noble is in that same ballpark of 'pleasing dynamics/envelope'.

18. tedw

Jun 13, 2006
    Northwest U.S.
    I'll chime in on compression. The sound guys at our church really liked my Keeley Bassist compressor and I like it for it's simplicity and effectiveness. But when I started using the Noble last month, they told me, "no compression pedal needed."

J.Wolf likes this.
  19. tedw

Jun 13, 2006
    Northwest U.S.
    The fewer the pedals, the better for me... quick set up, quick tear down.

J.Wolf likes this.
  20. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    I use a gratuitously sized board anyways so it's not a lot of skin off my back to use extra or new pedals. That said, I've come to like hitting the front end of the sonic farm directly with my bass, so occasionally I'll leave the board at home. It's like a great channel strip in that way, plugging straight in with a good cable is more rewarding than with any bass amp I've owned.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 17, 2021