1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Noble vs Sonic Farm

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by J.Wolf, Mar 4, 2016.

Tags:
  1. I never was into compression, but became interested as of late...
    The extraordinary Bongomania did most of the homework for me, and when I ordered the Noble, Mr. Jack Roan recommended using an OE Cali76 CB in conjunction with it. I had a 12V output added for 5 bucks on to the Noble for this purpose. He said a lot of players were raving about the two together, so I thought why not try it?. I was not keen to it and at first and I struggled with it. It was squashing things too much, and I was EQing too much with Noble, ended up away most of the definition and dynamics. It took me a few gigs to dial it in. Jack was right... currently I use it in tandem with the Noble it is amazing. It's continuously active with the comp set sparingly, and the LPF is set at 95-100%. It adds gobs of boost to my signal, too, adding headroom. There's a smooth transient full response I get using the two together that sits in the mix just right for everyone.
    Anyhow, I just thought before throwing down $400 on that vintage Bassman 400 on a new DI/preamp you might put a good comp into consideration again...

2. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Contributor- Bass Musician Magazine
    wow, very cool. Yeah Bongo's compressor review site is pure gold, I have used it a bunch to consider options.

3. Mike Arnopol

Mike Arnopol Inactive Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    I wasn't into compressors at all either until I tried the one built by Zoran (Sonic Farm). I use it a lot now.

foderaman and tombowlus like this.
  4. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    I only heard that preamp section of the sonic farm amp briefly, but I agree the comp was really fantastic. Can't wait for that Head to hit the market

5. thiessen3.14

thiessen3.14

Nov 22, 2002
    wichita, ks
    I've got a 2di4 and have a friend with the noble. Both are great. I think the Sonic Farm is more transparent and "faster" feeling. More modern sound, but still with all the complexity. The Noble is nice, too, but I found it a little muddy/thumpy, which is cool if that's what you want. Tim Lefebvre makes the Noble sound fantastic. Two features that might make a difference for you are 1) the 2di4 has the pentode/triode switch which gives more sonic options; 2) and this is the biggy--the parallel outs. Having a line out to feed a power amp (or for bypassing the mic pre when recording) and having a di to the board has been so much more convenient than I had imagined. My $.02.

tombowlus likes this.
  6. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Thanks for your message, that's good info and kind of what I suspected. I currently use the sonic farm and really love it, but occasionally I need a little more coloration and character than it provides, despite being a tube based unit.

The noble sounds really interesting, and guys like lefebvre getting behind it surely fuels the GAS for some people.

I imagine that it's overkill and redundant for what I need, I could probably add a tone hammer or VMT to my pedalboard and get a good bit of the way there. Also it seems like the noble does really well with fender style instruments. Not sure if that's true but I feel like I don't hear a lot of 5 and 6 string players using the noble. If I was rockin a P bass 80% of the time it would be worth looking into. But for what I do and am after, a pedal is probably the best way to get there, and keep using the sonic farm.

Thanks again,

7. thiessen3.14

thiessen3.14

Nov 22, 2002
    wichita, ks
    I'm an 80% pbass kinda guy...

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2021