1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Nobody needs a bass player in upstate NY????

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Tony G, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    What happened to this area's incredible need for talented bass players? Are all the gigging bands out there really happy with their bass players, or has the local music scene just dwindled down to virtually nothing? I want to gig, plain and simple. I want to play with talented musicians without ego's. I don't want to play in a country or metal band. I'm already in a party rock cover band, and doubt I would want to play in two. Either you are in a cover band, a metal band, or a country band. Where are all the good local musicians that want to do more that this??? Is this too much to ask from the NY Capital District? Yes, I may be picky about who I want to play with, but that is because I've played with so many musicians in this area don't fit my above criteria. I know the right group of people is out there. Why can't I find them????

Sorry for the rant....

2. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    See Ithaca or Rochester, maybe even Buffalo. Actually any college town is probably more likely to have a more interesting music scene than what you apparently have.

3. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Well, I live near Albany, NY which has a number of colleges, yet seemingly a very bland music scene...

4. Albany is NOT upstate New York. I live in upstate NY, 183 miles north of you. People seem to think the only thing after Albany is Canada and I don't know why.

[/end rant]

5. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    By my definition, you live in the North Country.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upstate_New_York

6. lmao, you win

7. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Yeah? What do I win?

8. pepsbro

pepsbro

Jun 16, 2007
    Rhode Island
    Yes, I may be picky about who I want to play with, but that is because I've played with so many musicians in this area don't fit my above criteria. I know the right group of people is out there. Why can't I find them????

Sorry for the rant....[/QUOTE]

Hey if it was easy anybody could do it
    Ive been playing bass 42 years and can count the guys that really got it on one hand. I feel your pain

9. MudKricket

MudKricket

Aug 11, 2007
    i live out near victor new york, youre tellin me its hard to find good musicians who dedicated to thier music.haha it sucks here. and what makes me a little angry is me going to shows with local bands and being like "im way better than that guy" i guess its who you know and what not. o well, i see the "downtime" as a time to learn more and get better.but hey, im only 17 my time will come :)

10. iamchipsmith

iamchipsmith

Dec 15, 2006
    Right now I live in a small hicktown right in the center of rochester and syracuse. In about a week I'm heading up to Clarkson in Potsdam, NY and will really be in the north country. I'm really hoping to find a great band there. My attempts at bands till this point have been pretty bad. Mostly due to the lack of decent musicians in my town. Plus at my age most kids want to play emo, punk pop type stuff which I'm not really into.

11. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    Between Clarkson, St. Lawrence, and SUNY Potsdam (including the Crane School of Music), you ought to be able to find some musicians. I'd recommend quickly getting to know the booking preferences of the live venues around Potsdam & Canton quickly, though. The last I was back up that way, there weren't a ton of venues, and you want to avoid spending all your energy building a band that is unbookable in the area.

12. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    In my book, BassFTW and xgabriele both win a cookie for correct answers:

BassFTW lives in the North Country, while xgabriele holds it down in central New York (not "upstate" -- a dismissive NYC-centric euphemism for anything north of White Plains).

13. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    No, I consider Syracuse and Utica to be Central NY. I've lived here just north of Albany for 20 years, and it has always been refered to as either the Capital District or Upstate NY.

14. tmw

tmw Gold Supporting Member

Oct 17, 2006
    Delmar, NY
    xgabriele,

I hear you. When I posted a bassist available on Albany Craigslist, I had responses from Hudson, Clarksville and CT. Found a project in CP that may or may not get out of the basement, but we (so far) are like minded and enjoy the same music. A big plus.

Prolonged Exposure was looking for a bass player about a month or so ago. They cover Aretha Franklin, Natalie Cole, Gretchen Wilson, Gloria Estefan, Earth Wind & Fire, etc. Sounded like a nice gig, but I want my CP project to move forward.

Happy Hunting,

Tony

15. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

Clifton Park? That's my home town! It is funny you mentioned Prolonged Exposure. My band "the Almighty Frequencies" is kind of like their sister band. We have all played we each other at one point or another, and play very similar covers.

16. zac2944

zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    It kills me to hear about the Albany area music scene not being that good. I grew up in that area and live in Boston now, but would like to move back to the capitol district some day.

17. tmw

Oct 17, 2006
    Delmar, NY
    Diane was really nice to speak with. I was interested, but when I told her what I was currently working on, she was somewhat insistent that it be one or the other. I had to chose the "other", as it is something I really want to do. Wished her good luck with her search. Anyway, since you already have that situation it may not be something you're looking to get into again.

Tony

18. tmw

Oct 17, 2006
    Delmar, NY
    Zac,

When you come back, we need keys, guitars and several drummers. Albany is running low:eek:

19. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Diane? Do you mean Debbie?

20. Nice to see so many tb'ers from Upstate, er, Central, er, North Country..... screw it, so many New Yorkers that ain't from the Apple!! Anyone recognize the hickville Bloomfield? South o' Rochacha? Anywho, been a little while since I lived there regular, but I seem to remember a pretty decent local music scene in the Rochester area. As to geography, I know Syracuse tv stations refer to that area as 'Central' New York, Rochester, Buffalo, etc are 'Western' New York, there's the Adirondack region, and yeah, anyone from 'downstate' aka the city, or anyone from another state just lumps it all as "upstate". meh, I'm just from new york.