1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Nobuo Uematsu music on viola da gamba

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by ghigo85, May 10, 2010.

1. ghigo85

ghigo85

Oct 5, 2009
    Parma (Italy)
    Here an excerpt from my new upcoming release "Plugin Contemporary Music and Ponzini plays Uematsu".

Ponzini plays Uematsu features six pieces of japanese videogame composer Nobuo Uematsu played on viola da gamba, fretless and 8 strings basses, doublebass.

Here, from Final Fantasy VII, "Those who fight further"

Feedbacks and suggestions are welcome :)

2. guest22338668

guest22338668 Guest

May 24, 2008
    You need to play 8th or 16th notes on the bass guitar, it lacks some energy I used to feel when I played this or when I listen to it again. Come on, this is a boss theme, it is supposed to kickass.:hyper::hyper:

3. ghigo85

ghigo85

Oct 5, 2009
    Parma (Italy)
    Magic Ownz,

you are right that is a boss theme.

For me, there are two reason for the choice of not doing it too "kickass" :)

The first is that this is one of six pieces of Uematsu that I play in the cd, and all the atmospheres are more like chamber music. This one is quite strange because is more "electric" (in the other ones there is only Viola da gamba), so I didn't want to change to much the feeling.

The other reason is that I played also "Those who fight", the other theme, with energy, and here I wanted to find a different mood from heavy rock style like The Black Mages, so I didn't put anything too strong. It's just a different interpretation of the same pieces, as I think that The Black Mages version is fantastic from "kickass" point of view...
    I wanted a different feeling :)

Thank you for your feedback :)

4. JtheJazzMan

JtheJazzMan

Apr 10, 2006
    Australia
    Excellent work as usual!

I like the attention to the whole media creation, with the camera work as well, and not just the music.

5. :spit:

There. I feel better now.

I agree with J......Excellent work as usual.

6. What kind of gamba are you playing?

I was surprised to notice some of the Chinese ebay companies have begun producing gambas. Not long ago it was all but impossible to find one for less than a few grand.

7. ghigo85

ghigo85

Oct 5, 2009
    Parma (Italy)
    JTheJazzMan and Paul, thank you very much! I'm so happy that you liked this version! :)

Jason, I have two different Bass viola da gamba.
    One is a 7 strings Colichon model, built by luthier Federico Lowenberger, one of the main italian luthier for viola da gamba.
    The one that I use in the video it's quite strange :)
    It's a viola da gamba made by a modern luthier, with a smaller body (even if the diapason it's the same), with 6 strings. I used this kind of viol for modern gigs because I can easily tune it with A 440 (viola da gamba usually it's tuned A415), and it's quite strong and resistant.

About Chinese viola da gamba I never tried them, I know that there is a luthier here that work on them for fixing their problems and selling to students, but I really don't know.
    Their price (from this luthier) it's not cheap, like 2000/3000 euros, and if their quality it's like the chinese doublebass or cellos... very bad :)

8. uethanian

uethanian

Mar 11, 2007
    glad to see some uematsu appreciation here

what was going on with the bass in the center? is that a pick or more of a striking-rod?

9. ghigo85

ghigo85

Oct 5, 2009
    Parma (Italy)
    uethanian, it's a plastic pen :)
    It's for a more percussive sound similar to dulcimer. :)